There are newer employer reviews for University of California Berkeley

Excellent, representing under-served communities!

Current Employee - Grad Assistant in Berkeley, CA
Current Employee - Grad Assistant in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UC Berkeley is a great place to network. It allows one to be free and find oneself, especially all the undergrad students, while having first class resources at hands reach.

Cons

Public university that seems to be alternating to a soon to be private university. Very competitive, a doggy dog world before the real world.

Advice to Management

Very good place to receive leadership experience. Very intelligent people to work with.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I am a postdoc in biological sciences at Berkeley

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With the new union, the salary is commensurate with NIH levels. There is a decent amount of support filling out health care options and learning about other benefits through HR and the VSPA. They have just started a number of programs designed to help with academic job searches and applying for grants.

Cons

The graduate union at Berkeley prohibits postdocs from teaching or TAing. If you want additional teaching experience, you need to go outside the UC System (eg community college or SF state). There is little to no support for jobs outside of academia. There is little or no support if you are having conflicts within your lab or within the department (though think this is pretty standard for universities). The career center is much more focused on the undergrads than on post grad job searches.

My experience has been a good one, but I do not like that there is a lot of office politics and little room to move up.

Current Contractor - Computer Resource Specialist I in Berkeley, CA
    Current Contractor - Computer Resource Specialist I in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, non-micro management, nice co-workers etc...

Cons

Many supervisor changes, lack of communication, office politics and rumors etc...

Advice to Management

It would be great to give feedback to our employees from time to time. There should be a form of quantifying the work that people put in, because the current one is biased and promotes favoritism.