There are newer employer reviews for University of California Berkeley

I am a postdoc in biological sciences at Berkeley

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Berkeley, CA
Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With the new union, the salary is commensurate with NIH levels. There is a decent amount of support filling out health care options and learning about other benefits through HR and the VSPA. They have just started a number of programs designed to help with academic job searches and applying for grants.

Cons

The graduate union at Berkeley prohibits postdocs from teaching or TAing. If you want additional teaching experience, you need to go outside the UC System (eg community college or SF state). There is little to no support for jobs outside of academia. There is little or no support if you are having conflicts within your lab or within the department (though think this is pretty standard for universities). The career center is much more focused on the undergrads than on post grad job searches.

Other Employee Reviews for University of California Berkeley

Not a great fit for someone who wants to move up

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great students, great to work in the heart of the East Bay. Decent job security, and a wide variety of workshops and resources staff can use to enhance resumes.

Cons

A major downside to the job security at UC Berkeley is that many people do not leave. And many people who work here are no longer the most qualified candidates for their positions. The school lacks a focus on rising to the times, and so there is no urge to develop these veteran employees further. This leaves little room for ambitious newcomers to rise up on the food chain. Additionally, comparatively low wages continued to lower the staff morale. Many staff members have just checked out completely. There are no carrots, as bonuses have been frozen. There are no sticks, as it seems nearly impossible to lay off employees who are not fulfilling their job descriptions. It is very difficult for someone who wants to rise, succeed, and make a difference to work to their full potential and not feel like a chump.

Advice to Management

Start pulling out the weeds to create a more productive and efficient work environment for people who are being paid a lesser salary, but have so much untapped and unused potential.

My experience has been a good one, but I do not like that there is a lot of office politics and little room to move up.

Current Contractor - Computer Resource Specialist I in Berkeley, CA
    Current Contractor - Computer Resource Specialist I in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, non-micro management, nice co-workers etc...

Cons

Many supervisor changes, lack of communication, office politics and rumors etc...

Advice to Management

It would be great to give feedback to our employees from time to time. There should be a form of quantifying the work that people put in, because the current one is biased and promotes favoritism.