University of California Berkeley
www.berkeley.edu Berkeley, CA 500 to 999 Employees

low morale due to various budget cuts

Research Administrator (Former Employee)
Berkeley, CA

ProsPension remains a big factor for people to stay. Being able to work with researchers on meaningful research makes the job seem very fulfilling. There are lots of career opportunity inside the UC system if one wants to try other things.

ConsPension is good but that will be cut. All the budget cuts make employees feel unsettled. Promotion is pretty hard, especially being reclassed into a different job classification. Most people end up moving between departments to move up. Some of the university systems are really not that well designed but there is no resources to do improvement. The result is a vicious cycle where inefficiencies cannot be addressed, which in term, leads to more resources being wasted.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe HR policies really need to be reviewed. The way the policies are designed now protects seniority too much. Employees are an organization's main asset. They need to stay competitive. I have seen too many people who intentionally introduced inefficiencies (such as extra lag time and unnecessary approvals or forms) just so that paperwork take super long to go through. That way, the expectation stays low. And that's how everyone will see the UC system - bureaucratic and slow. And those are also the ones that cannot be laid off because of seniority. I had seen management avoiding the layout of a person because that person could bump another excellent and hardworking employee. Policy like the seniority bumping can really drive the talented ones away.

One of the best jobs you can get as a student at Cal

Residential Computing Consultant (Current Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley part-time for less than a year

Pros: Flexible, great work environment, really smart coworkers Cons: Not as much hours as I would like More

graduate student researcher

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: People are very friendly, very smart and very willing to learn new things, or teach things to… Cons: There are very few ways to resolve conflicts within research groups. Conflict and group culture vary wildly between different departments… Advice to Senior Management: There should be more ways to resolve conflicts with advisers and within research groups. Some of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on University of California Berkeley.

Worked for University of California Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of California Berkeley reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of California Berkeley CEO Nicholas B. Dirks. All reviews posted anonymously by University of California Berkeley employees.