low morale due to various budget cuts

Former Employee - Research Administrator  in  Berkeley, CA
Former Employee - Research Administrator in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pension remains a big factor for people to stay. Being able to work with researchers on meaningful research makes the job seem very fulfilling. There are lots of career opportunity inside the UC system if one wants to try other things.

Cons

Pension is good but that will be cut. All the budget cuts make employees feel unsettled. Promotion is pretty hard, especially being reclassed into a different job classification. Most people end up moving between departments to move up. Some of the university systems are really not that well designed but there is no resources to do improvement. The result is a vicious cycle where inefficiencies cannot be addressed, which in term, leads to more resources being wasted.

The HR policies really need to be reviewed. The way the policies are designed now protects seniority too much. Employees are an organization's main asset. They need to stay competitive. I have seen too many people who intentionally introduced inefficiencies (such as extra lag time and unnecessary approvals or forms) just so that paperwork take super long to go through. That way, the expectation stays low. And that's how everyone will see the UC system - bureaucratic and slow. And those are also the ones that cannot be laid off because of seniority. I had seen management avoiding the layout of a person because that person could bump another excellent and hardworking employee. Policy like the seniority bumping can really drive the talented ones away.

Other Reviews for University of California Berkeley

Wonderful job. I need to find a similar one now that I'm in the 'real world'.

Former Employee - Lead Clerk  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Clerk in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Management, Co-workers usually nice as well, not a lot of micro-management.

Cons

The morning shift...and dealing with a capella groups.

no advice, they were wonderful

My experience at UC Berkeley was very rewarding!

Former Employee - Recreational Operations  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Recreational Operations in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working within the UC Berkeley community was allowed for many opportunities to meet different people as well as develop strong skills with clients and customer service. It was a great balance between school, work, and social time since they all were incorporated as part of the job.

Cons

The only downside to working at the Recreational Sports Facility at UC Berkeley was the late hours of the closing shift.

I would advise management to adopt better technology at the front and back desks (locker room) at the Recreational Sports Facility instead of investing in extraneous technological advances in the lobby, i.e. the touch screens in the lobby. Patrons benefit from newer and more efficient computers that the staff use at the front and back desks, and not so much from the touch screen computers in the lobby that provide basically the same information that they could get at their homes and from the staff.

There are newer employer reviews for University of California Berkeley.

Worked for University of California Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!