GSR at Berkeley.

I have been working at University of California Berkeley

Pros

There are many top tier scholars and industrial partners in our department. The colleagues and fellow students here are young and smart. I have great time here working and meeting with those people.

Cons

The working hours for a graduate student are far more than those of a average employee in industry. As a student, I have to take classes, teach classes (being a GSI), and do research (being a GSR) to earn my PhD degree. It's stressful.

Advice to Management

Arrange more social events for us.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Full of opportunities

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tuition and student health insurance are covered. Flexible hours. Nice people (students, staffs, profs, ..) in general. Lots of tons of opportunities in the campus (student society, clubs, contests, fellowships). Beautiful bay area. Closed to Oakland and San Francisco to enjoy city life.

Cons

Crimes (strong arm robbery, assault, hate crime) are very common in the city of Berkeley, especially south of campus. Students are risking belongings walking around or inside the campus after dark. Graduate students are paid not as much as those who go to work right after Bachelor's degree, but this is reasonable since part of our salary comes as remission of tuition.

Lots of change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Supporting students is a satisfying line of work

Cons

Operational Excellence and other cost saving measures has caused the campus to lose many seasoned and talented employees before they otherwise would have left. The loss of institutional knowledge is hard to replace. Lots of new systems to learn. Salary increases are small if they do happen.