University of California Berkeley

www.berkeley.edu

White collar welfare

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsBecause of an overall lack of accountability, plenty of time to work on personal business and outside interests. Difficult to get fired. Objective performance goals and reviews are talked about, but frequently don't happen.

ConsThe academic senate (tenured professors) run the asylum. This is a wacky bunch of ego centric wackos. Most have never worked a day in outside industry and have no real world experience. Professors treat everyone like they are grad students -there to be abused. There is zero career growth. Everyone gets the same performance review and (lack of) pay raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked in industry for twenty years before spending 14 years working for UC Berkeley. There is no
accountable management here. My advice is to bring in real, trained managers (like they produce in their MBA programs) and get rid of the clowns with Phd's that may be experts in the area of their thesis, but have not hard or soft management skills. (If you don't know what hard and soft management skill are, ask someone with an MBA). The UC is a ripping off the tax payers.

A sometimes frustrating environment, but always comfortable.

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: There are great health, vision, and dental benefits which cost practically nothing. Vacation accruals and… Cons: The organization is often hindered by bureaucratic inefficiencies and poor management. The institution also favors Berkeley alum - not a con if you are one.… Advice to Senior Management: Keep on trying. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

A Mixed Bag

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good benefits, some good staff, excited students. Work/life balance is… Cons: Low pay, disorganized and inefficient organizational structure, lack of funding. Some staff very complacent.… Advice to Senior Management: Centralize, streamline, organize. Use the money saved to keep tuition low and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on University of California Berkeley.

Worked for University of California Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!