University of California Berkeley

www.berkeley.edu

Being a GSI (Grad Student Instructor) = zero loans!

Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

Pros1) I like teaching, and this was interesting and challenging work.

2) My financial aid package from UCB included 2 years as a GSI - which reduced my tuition considerably. Together with a $9,000 scholarship, I was able to complete my MA degree without taking out any loans.

Cons1) Study-work balance is tough, particularly if it's your first time teaching. I often felt like I was putting more work into my teaching than into my grad studies.

2) Outside of the sciences and MBA school, grad students are largely left to themselves to find GSI work. I was given a GSI position my first semester for the Intro class in my department (Latin American Studies), however I needed to find one myself for all the other semesters. And since my department was very small, I ended up as a GSI for other departments. (That wasn't bad, actually; I enjoyed working for the others ... it was just stressful to renew my GSI applications and search for positions at the beginning of every semester.)

3) The fin aid packages are highly individualized, and many are geared towards STEM majors. I was there from 2007 - 2009. Public universities across the country - including the UC system - are increasing tuition, reducing scholarships, and generally making it harder for people to afford higher education. Although I was lucky, most of my grad school cohort (fellow students) were stuck with huge bills.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvise grad students with how to manage their teaching load alongside their studies, and assist them with finding GSI-ships.

Most importantly: MAKE TUITION AFFORDABLE. Offer more scholarships and pathways for people to afford higher education.

beautiful mission, awful place

Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: students are wonderful; diverse and motivated. the mission of the school,… Cons: colleagues are corrupt, mediocre, and a poor representation of what… Advice to Senior Management: resign and put some fair-minded and ethical people in place. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Can be fun but frustrating

Computer Consultant (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley part-time for less than a year

Pros: Can be fun when coworkers are also enthusiastic about work. Work events and projects… Cons: Some students can be extremely immature and difficult to deal… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on University of California Berkeley.

Worked for University of California Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!