University of California Berkeley

There are newer employer reviews for University of California Berkeley

Pretty good part time

Former Employee - Course Grader in Berkeley, CA
Former Employee - Course Grader in Berkeley, CA

I worked at University of California Berkeley part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Deadlines were not very strict
Work took less time to finish than what they paid me for
Flexible hours
It was nice to get to review material and get paid to do it

Cons

Only real complain would be the students (things like handwriting)
Sometimes it feels bad to fail people

744 Other Employee Reviews for University of California Berkeley (View Most Recent)

Cal is a better place to be as a student, disappointing as a full-time employee

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being around students in a learning environment can be exciting if you ever get the time to interact with them.

Cons

Staff people are thought of last. Faculty is treated best, then students. Some faculty won't even return emails and phone calls from staff. There is virtually no diversity in mid and senior leadership. This is the first place I became familiar with the term the "walking retired." People pretend that it is a meritocracy, but it's not. Strong performers don't get adequately compensated and those that don't work very hard I saw get the same annual performance increases as those who worked hard, just because they'd been there a long time. My manager wanted me to fudge records that correctly showed I worked well over 40 hours most weeks because she thought it made her look bad as mange(?!)

In a state as diverse as California, one would think that it would be impossible, for example, for MBA Career Management to be staffed with only heterosexual Caucasians and Chinese Americans.

Quality of education going down, funding being cut

I worked at University of California Berkeley full-time

Pros

Diversity, beautiful campus, amazing libraries, brilliant minds. Study abroad programs still reasonably good and well-funded, perhaps because of reciprocity agreements with foreign universities. Some truly amazing professors, though many of the best have already jumped ship to jobs at other universities that pay them better and appear more stable than the circus higher education in CA has become.

Cons

Dysfunctional upper management, horrible funding for GSIs, increasing class sizes for students, ongoing protests against a corporatization of the university, defunding of the humanities. No longer affordable for many in the middle class without carrying excessive debt and/or holding down job(s) while enrolled.

There are newer employer reviews for University of California Berkeley