There are newer employer reviews for University of California Berkeley

Academic Center Assistant. It's a good school and employer.

Current Employee - Academic Center Assistant in Berkeley, CA
Current Employee - Academic Center Assistant in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They're willing to work with your schedule as a student, and provide training. Work study available. As an ACA the work is easy and you can spend time doing homework or online sometimes.

Cons

Pay is usually on the low end, for student jobs anyway. They don't let students work more than 20 hours per week. Not much potential for advancement in this role.

Work on getting computer access to new employees faster.

667 Other Employee Reviews for University of California Berkeley (View Most Recent)

Great learning experience and opportunities

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Berkeley, CA

Pros

- Close to UC Berkeley Campus and BART
    - Great training for data management and prospect research
    - Good learning opportunity for fundraising and development

Cons

- tedious work at times, but it comes with the territory
    - Low prospects for promotion
    - Grunt work, grunt work, grunt work (again, part of the territory.

Try to make assignments and jobs as educational as possible. I know work-study is mainly about giving students a way to earn their financial aid, but it can also be a great learning experience for them.

Brilliant Researchers... Okay Teachers

Current Employee - Undergraduate Student in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Student in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have access to some of the highest caliber researchers and professors in the country - some of whom are doing some very interesting and groundbreaking work. You're constantly pushed and challenged to succeed against a huge pool of qualified students (also a con). The location of the campus and its aesthetics in general are very pleasant.

Cons

There are some professors who are decent teachers, and there are some phenomenal teachers... but my main complaint is that there have been some TERRIBLE teachers whose lectures are not only incomprehensible (due to accent) but oftentimes overcomplicated. We don't need to dive into a brief lecture on Fourier Series when we're in the middle of learning basic calculus... yet we did. Also, course scheduling is pretty horrible sometimes - especially if you're trying to double major and need to fulfill certain prerequisites. Plan ahead, or you'll regret it later.

I would suggest firing several awful professors (or at least forbid them from teaching). In addition, I would try to revamp both the course scheduling system, as well as the number of course offerings per student, as Berkeley is quite overcrowded.

There are newer employer reviews for University of California Berkeley