University of California

www.universityofcalifornia.edu
  www.universityofcalifornia.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of California

the university of california is a great place to work, but be prepared to wade through the bs

Current Employee - Associate Professor
Current Employee - Associate Professor

I have been working at University of California

Pros

respected research institution that keeps faculty motivated to be current in their particular fields.

Cons

a boatload of beaurocracy and having to fight for respect, especially from faculty of color

listen to and respect faculty opinion, and try not to be so chicanerous in your administrative duties

110 Other Employee Reviews for University of California (View Most Recent)

This is the best place to work on campus.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at University of California

Pros

Best job to have on a university campus because of flexible hours and decent pay.

Cons

Some downsides to working here would be poor management and constantly changing policies.

It would be best to have a training system planned out by the Management.

Incredible diversity and brainpower, but choose your adviser well.

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher  in  Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California

Pros

The campus has a lot of support for diversity. Regardless of your opinions on politics, religion, or hot button issues, you can probably find a student group in support (or against) the subject.

The university is full of really really smart people (faculty, grad students, undergrads, etc).

Cons

The city of Berkeley tends to breed stubborn, left-wing hippies. This is a generalization, I know. I just want to make the point that the city is only accepting toward those who have the same ideals. It irks me that people who desire to be so open to "free thought and expression" have so little respect for people who have differing opinions.

Faculty: make time for your students. Listen to them, give them good advice, figure out what makes them tick. For most graduate students, the first year of grad school is only 3 months after undergrad. You can't expect us to develop a research plan nor be able to work on our own yet.

Senior grad students: take responsibility for the junior students in the lab. Help them find their reserach and even find ways you can collaborate.

There are newer employer reviews for University of California

Worked for University of California? Contribute to the Community!