No overtime, small compensation

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst II  in  Santa Cruz, CA
Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst II in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at University of California

Pros

Schedule, no commute, no significant over time

Cons

Compensation, short review periods, incompetent employees, poor communication and decisions

Look to your talented employees for feedback and future planning, communicate more with the employees "doing the work"

Other Reviews for University of California

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral in San Diego, CA

I have been working at University of California

Pros

The UC is well known for cutting edge research and great faculty. As a postdoc, it provides a perfect environment to build your career. I'm not sure about other postdocs' situations, but I get a full medical/dental/vision health insurance plan and 4 weeks of paid vacation.

Cons

There can be a lot of big egos to wade through at times, but if you work for the right people there is no reason you can't succeed.

I wish there were some sort of postdoc association to meet other postdocs. At times it can be very hard to meet other people in a new town and it would be nice to have some events where postdocs could gather and talk.

the university of california is a great place to work, but be prepared to wade through the bs

Current Employee - Associate Professor
    Current Employee - Associate Professor

I have been working at University of California

Pros

respected research institution that keeps faculty motivated to be current in their particular fields.

Cons

a boatload of beaurocracy and having to fight for respect, especially from faculty of color

listen to and respect faculty opinion, and try not to be so chicanerous in your administrative duties

There are newer employer reviews for University of California.

Worked for University of California? Contribute to the Community!