University of California

www.universityofcalifornia.edu
  www.universityofcalifornia.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of California

Berkeley is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Principal Publications Coordinator
Current Employee - Principal Publications Coordinator

I have been working at University of California

Pros

I love working with these extremely smart Berkeley students! The institution is open and friendly; diverse and accepting of different lifestyles. I'm a lesbian, and there is a lot of support for me and my family.

Cons

The pay isn't that great, but if you stay here, you get more vacation time and a full pension. It's hard being dependent on the state budget. Some years there's enough money, right now money is very tight. This is hard if you're trying to get new initiatives funded.

Senior management needs to get real. Some of the people I work for have a million ideas, but no funding to back up their plans.

114 Other Employee Reviews for University of California (View Most Recent)

No overtime, small compensation

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst II in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst II in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at University of California

Pros

Schedule, no commute, no significant over time

Cons

Compensation, short review periods, incompetent employees, poor communication and decisions

Look to your talented employees for feedback and future planning, communicate more with the employees "doing the work"

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral in San Diego, CA

I have been working at University of California

Pros

The UC is well known for cutting edge research and great faculty. As a postdoc, it provides a perfect environment to build your career. I'm not sure about other postdocs' situations, but I get a full medical/dental/vision health insurance plan and 4 weeks of paid vacation.

Cons

There can be a lot of big egos to wade through at times, but if you work for the right people there is no reason you can't succeed.

I wish there were some sort of postdoc association to meet other postdocs. At times it can be very hard to meet other people in a new town and it would be nice to have some events where postdocs could gather and talk.

There are newer employer reviews for University of California