University of California

www.universityofcalifornia.edu
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for University of California

Good place to work, but maybe not for life

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at University of California

Pros

You're constantly around students and professionals that have education as a priority - people tend to have more interesting conversations and so work passes more quickly when you're doing a monotonous task. The work was fairly enjoyable and you're given a lot of freedom with a clear bureaucracy (though there is an obvious hierarchy to get things done through and it's not exactly expedient).

Cons

Still a large "company" with lots of regulations
Pay is alright but by no means exemplary

Advice to Management

Doing a good job at encouraging employees to work hard by not breathing down their necks!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Berkeley is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Principal Publications Coordinator
    Current Employee - Principal Publications Coordinator

I have been working at University of California

Pros

I love working with these extremely smart Berkeley students! The institution is open and friendly; diverse and accepting of different lifestyles. I'm a lesbian, and there is a lot of support for me and my family.

Cons

The pay isn't that great, but if you stay here, you get more vacation time and a full pension. It's hard being dependent on the state budget. Some years there's enough money, right now money is very tight. This is hard if you're trying to get new initiatives funded.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to get real. Some of the people I work for have a million ideas, but no funding to back up their plans.

2. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral in San Diego, CA

I have been working at University of California

Pros

The UC is well known for cutting edge research and great faculty. As a postdoc, it provides a perfect environment to build your career. I'm not sure about other postdocs' situations, but I get a full medical/dental/vision health insurance plan and 4 weeks of paid vacation.

Cons

There can be a lot of big egos to wade through at times, but if you work for the right people there is no reason you can't succeed.

Advice to Management

I wish there were some sort of postdoc association to meet other postdocs. At times it can be very hard to meet other people in a new town and it would be nice to have some events where postdocs could gather and talk.