There are newer employer reviews for University of Cambridge

Great experience as a researcher

Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Never boring, not two days are the same

Cons

Lots of work and all the downsides of working as a researcher I guess

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great University and Great Town!

Current Employee - Computer Officer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Computer Officer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some Departments offer Flexible hours. This all depends on your line manager and on the type of work you do, and as long as you do not have to do office hours 9.00-17.00.

Cons

The salary is not as high as in most UK Universities unfortunately. One could even say that you have to pay this prestigious University to work for them.

Advice to Management

More communication with employees may lead to a greater understanding of current issues and would promote a more positive outcome.

2. Wonderful university, Great place to live in.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best Universities worldwide - which means great faculty, postdocs, graduate students and undergrads. As a scientist it all depend on the specific field/department/group you join, of course. Note - HFSP fellowship may be done through your department. Your Dep would love that, but your research and travel money will have to go through them and won't have the flexibility of having it in your bank account and at the end just sending a financial report+receipts. My advice - even if they sort of assume it - insist and it'll work (because those are the HFSP guidelines). I did so. This may very well work with other sources of external funding - I don't know. Try to find people who have one the same fellowship before and used it in Cambridge - from the website of the funding body's list of recent awardees.

Cons

Well, of course the weather... seriously - sometimes, as any University I guess - bureaucracy is a little too much. Also - computer services can be really problematic and un-21 century Oh, finally - cost of keeping lab animals are very high