There are newer employer reviews for University of Cambridge

Great experience as a researcher

Current Employee - Researcher  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
Current Employee - Researcher in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Never boring, not two days are the same

Cons

Lots of work and all the downsides of working as a researcher I guess

91 Other Employee Reviews for University of Cambridge (View Most Recent)

Wonderful university, Great place to live in.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the best Universities worldwide - which means great faculty, postdocs, graduate students and undergrads. As a scientist it all depend on the specific field/department/group you join, of course.

Note - HFSP fellowship may be done through your department. Your Dep would love that, but your research and travel money will have to go through them and won't have the flexibility of having it in your bank account and at the end just sending a financial report+receipts. My advice - even if they sort of assume it - insist and it'll work (because those are the HFSP guidelines). I did so. This may very well work with other sources of external funding - I don't know. Try to find people who have one the same fellowship before and used it in Cambridge - from the website of the funding body's list of recent awardees.

Cons

Well, of course the weather...
    seriously - sometimes, as any University I guess - bureaucracy is a little too much.
    Also - computer services can be really problematic and un-21 century
    Oh, finally - cost of keeping lab animals are very high

nice employer

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good balance between work and life, a lot of personal development and career service available.

Cons

high living expense in Cambridge.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Cambridge

Worked for University of Cambridge? Contribute to the Community!