University of Cambridge

phd student . .

Current Employee - PhD in Cambridge, MD
Current Employee - PhD in Cambridge, MD

I have been working at University of Cambridge part-time

Pros

one of best place to study

Cons

one of best place in the world

good place

106 Other Employee Reviews for University of Cambridge (View Most Recent)

High quality research, outreach and an open vision to careers outside academia

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Cambridge full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like working in a research environment in which everybody strives for high quality results, in every sinle aspect. Cambridge is a very academic citiy, but it is stimulated to translate our findings in practical strategies as well. After all we are often paid by the general public. Something that was really refreshing for me was the career service; there is a lot of scope to develop you in every direction. Career service is clear about careers outside academia as well; this was kind of a taboo in previous places I worked. Actually, if you want, career service will give you the relevant tools to make a step outside academia. Hence, whatever happens during your period here, whatever you want, you will probably have a good stepping stone for the rest of your career.

Cons

Well, there are not real cons for me. A downside of the high quality of research may be a bit higher pressure on you as a researcher. And internationally the salaries of UK academics are not that high.

Enthusiastic students, excellent professional network

Current Employee - Lecturer
    Current Employee - Lecturer

I have been working at University of Cambridge part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You feel like you are in the centre of academia "as it happens". Students are enthusiastic and wants to learn. Colleagues very helpful and bouncing ideas off each other is always fun.

Cons

Admin overworked. Booking rooms is a nightmare.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Cambridge