There are newer employer reviews for University of Central Oklahoma

Great place to work if you have a Phd, not so much if you don't.

Current Employee - Lecturer  in  Edmond, OK
Current Employee - Lecturer in Edmond, OK

I have been working at University of Central Oklahoma

Pros

As a lecturer at UCO, I teach without a PhD. So while the institution declares itself a primarily teaching institution, I am not evaluated based on my teaching but instead on my research, which is next to impossible to complete without a PhD. You can see where this is going…while I work hard, have positive student reviews and have positive outcomes on teaching, I’m passed over for promotions, not eligible for merit bonuses, and in general have no opportunities for advancements while faculty with PhD’s get tenure, are allowed to teach fewer students (i.e., work less) and make up to three times my salary. Ok, this is the system in higher education, but as “teaching” institution and not a “research” institution it shouldn’t be this way.

Ok, now on to the positives. There are lots of things going for this school including a progressive management team, an environmental ethic, a desire to focus on leadership and civic engagement and other things to make it a good place to work. In fact, if I ever had any hope of a promotion, I wouldn’t be quitting, but after seven years and no room to grow, I’ve decided to move on. The upper leaders (President, Provost, etc) of the school have really impressed me but the system is stacked against someone with only a master’s degree so I’m out looking for a job.

Cons

Promotions are not really merit based for faculty, more so on education completed.

Value outcomes more so than process.

45 Other Employee Reviews for University of Central Oklahoma (View Most Recent)

Ok place to work.

I have been working at University of Central Oklahoma

Pros

State benefits. Academic/Higher Ed community. Commuter campus culture, but located in metro area.

Cons

Advancement opportunities slim, salary comparisons on low side.

Listed as top place to work for 2011, so prove it...

just an opinion

I have been working at University of Central Oklahoma

Pros

time off ,flexibility, stability ,people, work load

Cons

growth, professional development , support , training

you have to create growth opportunities!!

There are newer employer reviews for University of Central Oklahoma

Worked for University of Central Oklahoma? Contribute to the Community!