University of Florida

www.ufl.edu
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for University of Florida

Great benfits, academic politics.

Current Employee - Associate Director in Gainesville, FL
Current Employee - Associate Director in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at University of Florida

Pros

There is a fantastic benefits structure in place. If you get a good supervisor who will allow you to utilize these resources there is a lot of flexiblity as long as you get your job done well. It is one of the best places to work if you are a die-hard Gator fan. There is a positive culture permeates the town and connects you with people you have never even met.

Cons

Generally, a cultural division between faculty and administrative support staff. The generational shift in incoming students may be one of the most challenging groups of folks academia has yet had to work with (this permeates the industry, not just UF). There tends to be some entrenched feudalism and fiefdoms entrenched in the inter-departmental parts of the organization and between the colleges.

Integrate. Motivate. Grow in a sustainable way. Value support as well as research.

484 Other Employee Reviews for University of Florida (View Most Recent)

Great place to be a student and researcher, but poor compensation and backwards rules overall for the amount of work.

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at University of Florida

Pros

Great diversity of research opportunities and experience. In my CLAS department anyway, there is a very flexible structure regarding how you meet your work hour requirements. With about 50% of classes at UF taught by GAs and TAs, they'd better be flexible! They also started recently offering free health care for all grad students (though I've had some major issues with their coverage).

Cons

The compensation for the amount of work is not very good. It's great as far as graduate assistantships go, but UF definitely requires more work from graduate students than a lot of programs I've heard about. Further, while they offer free health care for grad students, which is great, they don't have vision or dental plans (though they started discounts this year). Further, the cost to include my spouse or child is ridiculously expensive compared to independent coverage I researched myself. The other problem with the GA/TA type positions is that UF requires you to be taking a full course load as well (9 hours), and they make us pay fees. Therefore, an entire paycheck of the already low pay goes towards fees. If you're not yet a FL resident, it's more like 2 or 3 paychecks. I've had to hunt for independent studies while I've been working on quals since I'm pretty much done with classes. The other problem lately has been their cutting of classes due to budget problems so it's even harder to find courses to fill the requirement to keep getting a paycheck. The administration also doesn't really seem to appreciate it's graduate student population-it usually feels like they're just trying to keep us in check.

Fees should be waived or much reduced. It's like a fee to work, which is silly. It would also be nice to feel like we were treated more like the colleagues and assets we are rather than a liability. Did I mention we teach 50% of offered courses at UF? Can you imagine how much it would be costing your departments if those same courses were not covered by us?

UF the good and the bad

Current Employee - Professor of Pediatrics in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Professor of Pediatrics in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at University of Florida

Pros

As a physician job security is good. Once you are hired the organization supports you. The university has many processes that leads to fairness in opportunity, advancement and salary. There is no discrimination by age, gender, religion or race and none would be tolerated. Each individual has adequate opportunity for advancement although one must find time beyond clinical responsibilities. As a public institution the University and particularly the medical college is doing good work. There is a dedication to caring for the disadvantaged as well as the insured. The benefits are quite good although the State's economy is limiting some of the benefits at the moment.

Cons

salary, state and institutional politics, support

support your staff