Laid back, but...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Hartford, CT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hartford, CT

I have been working at University of Hartford

Pros

The Hartford area is quite nice to live in and generally most departments are laid back. If you don't get too deep into academic matters (I was not) then you will find it to be an enjoyable workplace.

Cons

Nobody can communicate with each other. There is very little knowledge and information shared and much discussion goes on behind closed doors.

Talk to each other better! There is a lot of duplicated effort between many departments and everyone would benefit by being more open with each other.

Other Reviews for University of Hartford

My experience has been over all positive, with some caveats.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hartford, CT

I have been working at University of Hartford

Pros

The University is small, so there is not much of a chance to grow. In some departments people have been in their position for a long time. In other departments there is high turnover. My job has been satisfactory overall, and I see others taking advantage of the educational opportunities, which is a very big PRO, so there are definitely some good aspects to University life.

Cons

On the other hand, the pay is low, and depending on your job, the stress can be high - with little support from management. This isn't the case for myself, but I see it. You also don't find the competence that is generally required in a business environment. Frankly, the standards aren't that high, and with mini-fiefdoms people tend to be resistant to change.

Invest in your operations. There are key areas that I know of which require investment, otherwise problems will continue and risks to the University will mount. Unfortunately, in today's economic climate, there may simply not be the money available, even if there was a will. The University might also consider experimenting with alternative work arrangements as a means to cut costs, or extending vacation time in lieu of salary increases. This could make jobs more attractive given the low pay.

UHa provides a safe, supportive collegial community in which to work.

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Hartford, CT

I worked at University of Hartford

Pros

My Department Chair and colleagues were very supportive and accessible. They fostered a sense of community by sharing information and ideas regularly. They were professional, ethical, and committed to student progress and development. Students are generally courteous and responsive. There was a good variety of speakers/cultural events available on campus.

Cons

The facilities were not as state of the art as some of the public institutions at which I have worked (which quite frankly surprised me considering the cost of tuition). It may have changed in the last year, but many rooms were not equipped with computer access and computer/overhead projection capabilities. Rooms for occassional student computer use booked quickly and were difficult to schedule. Salary was slightly below that of public institutions for similar work.

Update technology access and resources in all classrooms. Provide more rooms for occassional computer use (by classes). Increase salary scale for Adjuncts.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Hartford.

Worked for University of Hartford? Contribute to the Community!