University of Illinois

www.uillinois.edu
  www.uillinois.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of Illinois

Extraordinary public institution faced with difficult budget situations

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois

Pros

Extraordinary researchers and faculty who provide a great environment for students to learn

Cons

Commuting to campus can be difficult and many of the physical facilities need extensive work.

Communicate honestly and regularly with faculty, staff and students

75 Other Employee Reviews for University of Illinois (View Most Recent)

Engineering grad student review

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois

Pros

My adviser allows me to work the hours that I want to. He does not pressure me to come in late or work weekends. As long as work is getting done, you are free to make your own hours.

The department of Chemical Engineering provides competitive stipends for engineering grad students. My offer was more than Purdue, but slightly less than Northwester or Michigan.

Research is well funded to support travel to conferences. I have been able to attend all conferences I have wanted to attend.

The University of Illinois is a well-respected school and its graduates are very competitive in competing for positions after graduation.

Cons

No health care subsidies for spouse/dependants

Provide some kind of assistance to married/parent grad students to help with health care costs

University of Illinois engineering graduate student

Current Employee - Materials Science Graduate Student in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Materials Science Graduate Student in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois

Pros

Fantastic engineering programs, but the pay is less than other institutions because the programs are usually ranked higher.

Cons

The bureacracy sometimes gets in the way of advancement. The chancellor needs to send emails demonstrating a desire to address the real needs of the University head on, especially with regard to budget cuts. Instead, it seems to be his priority to focus on tolerance and diversity, which are good, but does not do anything about the budget mess. In addition, graduate students are not very appreciated for the amount of work that they do. The graduate students are the ones in the trenches doing the work, but this is often overlooked.

Pay more attention to graduate students needs. Do not charge them outrageously for fees and tuition. Each year the fees and tuition percentage increase far exceeds the rate of salary increase. After all, these people are going to be alumni someday, and you will be contacting them for donations. Focus on establishing feeling of pride and comraderie that will last, instead of a hollow, empty feeling with a focus getting the work done and leaving as soon as possible. People should leave knowing they belong to a community and the connection should be well established before they are gone.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Illinois