University of Illinois

www.uillinois.edu

Extraordinary public institution faced with difficult budget situations

Current Employee - Director  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

Pros

Extraordinary researchers and faculty who provide a great environment for students to learn

Cons

Commuting to campus can be difficult and many of the physical facilities need extensive work.

Communicate honestly and regularly with faculty, staff and students

Other reviews for University of Illinois

Great Benefits, Poor Parking, Everything else depends on the department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

Pros

The benefit package is outstanding. Annually, employees are given 25 days vacation, up to 24 days sick leave (first 12 are transferable to next year), tuition reimbursement, health insurance, life insurance. It is nice knowing that you work for an institution that is top in many fields, including technology and agriculture. There are many different people on campus, with a range of cultures and ideas, which makes it interesting to be around. Most employees at the university are state employees so you are entitled to state benefits. One of the things I like best about my specific department is that there is a parking lot right next to the building so I don't have to walk far.

Cons

This depends on which department you work in. There are many times I have trouble accessing information because no one is sure which department has that information, or which department is supposed to / allowed to help. There isn't much cross-departmental feedback in the area I work in. One downside for the university as a whole is the parking situation. Parking is hard to come by, and one is lucky to get into a parking lot that is near your office. Also, when students are on campus, the traffic is horrible when trying to drive on campus or find other parking spaces.

The senior management in my department is lacking in social skills and rules by fear, rather than respect.

Engineering grad student review

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Urbana, IL

Pros

My adviser allows me to work the hours that I want to. He does not pressure me to come in late or work weekends. As long as work is getting done, you are free to make your own hours.

The department of Chemical Engineering provides competitive stipends for engineering grad students. My offer was more than Purdue, but slightly less than Northwester or Michigan.

Research is well funded to support travel to conferences. I have been able to attend all conferences I have wanted to attend.

The University of Illinois is a well-respected school and its graduates are very competitive in competing for positions after graduation.

Cons

No health care subsidies for spouse/dependants

Provide some kind of assistance to married/parent grad students to help with health care costs

There are newer employer reviews for University of Illinois.

Worked for University of Illinois? Contribute to the Community!