There are newer employer reviews for University of Illinois

Extraordinary public institution faced with difficult budget situations

Current Employee - Director  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois

Pros

Extraordinary researchers and faculty who provide a great environment for students to learn

Cons

Commuting to campus can be difficult and many of the physical facilities need extensive work.

Communicate honestly and regularly with faculty, staff and students

73 Other Employee Reviews for University of Illinois (View Most Recent)

Engineering grad student review

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois

Pros

My adviser allows me to work the hours that I want to. He does not pressure me to come in late or work weekends. As long as work is getting done, you are free to make your own hours.

The department of Chemical Engineering provides competitive stipends for engineering grad students. My offer was more than Purdue, but slightly less than Northwester or Michigan.

Research is well funded to support travel to conferences. I have been able to attend all conferences I have wanted to attend.

The University of Illinois is a well-respected school and its graduates are very competitive in competing for positions after graduation.

Cons

No health care subsidies for spouse/dependants

Provide some kind of assistance to married/parent grad students to help with health care costs

Possibilities to serve the public good, and great benefits, if you are disciplined and patient.

Current Employee - Research Programmer  in  Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Research Programmer in Urbana, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois

Pros

Contribute to the public good; excellent benefits. Meet a broad spectrum of smart, creative people working in many fields.

Cons

Little feedback on job performance; funding and quality of work can be somewhat decoupled. Funding can be at the mercy of political whim. Large bureaucracy. You can meet a wide variety of people, but it's hard to get into deep, focused, sustained work because the funding cycles are short.

Keep trying. It's a constant struggle to be efficient and effective when you are publicly funded.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Illinois

Worked for University of Illinois? Contribute to the Community!