University of Illinois at Chicago
www.uic.edu Chicago, IL 50 to 149 Employees

An excellent employer if you can get in.

Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Chicago full-time for more than a year

ProsThe hiring process is very thorough (background checks, references, etc). It's all done online initially, but once hired, you show up to HR where you will read and fill quite a few forms, many are ethical in nature (won't discriminate, hurt, steal, etc) . While it is extremely difficult to get any job at UIC because of the current hiring freeze (which really isn't a freeze...it's more of a slow down), you can either go the civil route (need to take exam) or academic route. Many jobs are not advertised and there is a way to get a temporary 6 month assignment through the academic route where departments fill short-comings in their staffs. They do advertise the official civil and academic jobs, but in my opinion, these are very hard to get because so many people apply for the small amount of jobs listed. The temporary academic jobs can lead to a full time job if they decide to formally create the position which has to be approved by HR. Once hired, the process takes a while for HR to get you "official." It took about one month since being hired to start. While HR is very nice, they are by the book and will not help you in any way to give advice. I think this is because of past cronyism that has been cleaned up and they probably are trained not to help to avoid any perceived preference to candidates. Once in the system, the benefits are pretty standard but as an employee, classes are free and you can earn your degree as long as you get accepted in the program of course. The campus is safe where I work (by the medical campus). There are police everywhere, emergency telephone beacons every block, and the hospital campus is pretty safe. The Polk street L station is close by and UIC and CTA buses are everywhere. Taylor street is awesome. A lot of great pubs, restaurants, etc. You also can get breaks at the new beautiful fitness center, CTA passes, and even a discount on your Sprint cell phone bill ($35 off my family plan!), and very cheap software for your personal use like Windows, Office for Mac (only $90!), Adobe Suites, etc. There are also many groups, organizations, associations, lectures, etc that are open to many so you can easily get involved if you have the desire. The students are very down to Earth and I have not encountered attitudes like the "I am God complex" that are typical of DePaul, Loyola, Northwestern and University of Chicago students. The students are culturally diverse and so are the staffs which is so refreshing.

ConsHR is currently re-classifying all academic jobs and they are converting them to civil jobs to prevent the academic departments from hiring people they know, but in my opinion, HR just ends up hiring some unqualified people because they seem to go out of their way to hire people without graduate degrees from what I have been noticing, thus opening jobs to a greater proportion of the population that don't supposedly get a fair shake at jobs traditionally held by people with graduate degrees, but the quality of hires goes down. I don't think a graduate degree is the ultimate qualification for every job, but that should not be counted against you when applying. I think they need to re-think their hiring process. Also, many academics run the departments you work in and they don't tell you about all the benefits like tuition reimbursements, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I don't approve of the cronyism in the hiring of academic departments, all they have to do is stick to higher standards in the hiring of civil jobs. No reason to dumb it down for the sake of being fair.

Great place to learn and help others

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Illinois at Chicago part-time for more than a year

Pros: Great people (up to the middle-administrative level, the higher-ups seem… Cons: Low salary, mainly pretty ugly campus. Advice to Senior Management: Stop hiring more administrators and invest in faculty - they're… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Graduate School at the Pharmacy College - Teaching / Research Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Chicago part-time for more than a year

Pros: Good people, classes are small (for the graduate students), diverse… Cons: If you are not a self-starter then you may feel… Advice to Senior Management: Additional departmental group projects and collaboration would help strengthen our program and elevate the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on University of Illinois at Chicago.

Worked for University of Illinois at Chicago? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Illinois at Chicago reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Illinois at Chicago CEO Paula Allen-Meares. All reviews posted anonymously by University of Illinois at Chicago employees.