There are newer employer reviews for University of Illinois at Chicago

People are nice but the system is slow.

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Chicago part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Chicago is a great city and univ. is right next to downtown. There are some really cool project in every dept. The health care is very good. The electronic systems are getting better slowly but smoothly. The Rec. center is great and fairly good equipted. There are kind of great pulic transportation.

Cons

There is a common negetive envierment amoung the faculty,staff, and even graduate students. The dept. expect a lot. The tution diferential of this univ is higher than most of univ. but the pay is lower than the rest. There are a lot of fees and the parkings are expensive.

Reduce the fees and promote the research more.

256 Other Employee Reviews for University of Illinois at Chicago (View Most Recent)

great prospects

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

Pros

vibrant city campus, great collaboration options, supportive faculty

Cons

expensive rents, not safe to travel alone at night, high cost of living

An excellent employer if you can get in.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at University of Illinois at Chicago full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hiring process is very thorough (background checks, references, etc). It's all done online initially, but once hired, you show up to HR where you will read and fill quite a few forms, many are ethical in nature (won't discriminate, hurt, steal, etc) . While it is extremely difficult to get any job at UIC because of the current hiring freeze (which really isn't a freeze...it's more of a slow down), you can either go the civil route (need to take exam) or academic route. Many jobs are not advertised and there is a way to get a temporary 6 month assignment through the academic route where departments fill short-comings in their staffs. They do advertise the official civil and academic jobs, but in my opinion, these are very hard to get because so many people apply for the small amount of jobs listed. The temporary academic jobs can lead to a full time job if they decide to formally create the position which has to be approved by HR. Once hired, the process takes a while for HR to get you "official." It took about one month since being hired to start. While HR is very nice, they are by the book and will not help you in any way to give advice. I think this is because of past cronyism that has been cleaned up and they probably are trained not to help to avoid any perceived preference to candidates. Once in the system, the benefits are pretty standard but as an employee, classes are free and you can earn your degree as long as you get accepted in the program of course. The campus is safe where I work (by the medical campus). There are police everywhere, emergency telephone beacons every block, and the hospital campus is pretty safe. The Polk street L station is close by and UIC and CTA buses are everywhere. Taylor street is awesome. A lot of great pubs, restaurants, etc. You also can get breaks at the new beautiful fitness center, CTA passes, and even a discount on your Sprint cell phone bill ($35 off my family plan!), and very cheap software for your personal use like Windows, Office for Mac (only $90!), Adobe Suites, etc. There are also many groups, organizations, associations, lectures, etc that are open to many so you can easily get involved if you have the desire. The students are very down to Earth and I have not encountered attitudes like the "I am God complex" that are typical of DePaul, Loyola, Northwestern and University of Chicago students. The students are culturally diverse and so are the staffs which is so refreshing.

Cons

HR is currently re-classifying all academic jobs and they are converting them to civil jobs to prevent the academic departments from hiring people they know, but in my opinion, HR just ends up hiring some unqualified people because they seem to go out of their way to hire people without graduate degrees from what I have been noticing, thus opening jobs to a greater proportion of the population that don't supposedly get a fair shake at jobs traditionally held by people with graduate degrees, but the quality of hires goes down. I don't think a graduate degree is the ultimate qualification for every job, but that should not be counted against you when applying. I think they need to re-think their hiring process. Also, many academics run the departments you work in and they don't tell you about all the benefits like tuition reimbursements, etc.

While I don't approve of the cronyism in the hiring of academic departments, all they have to do is stick to higher standards in the hiring of civil jobs. No reason to dumb it down for the sake of being fair.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Illinois at Chicago