University of Iowa

There are newer employer reviews for University of Iowa

Good work/life blance

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA
Current Employee - Research Assistant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A peace and nice city to live in and very well balanced of work and life

Cons

Too much snow in winter

None

226 Other Employee Reviews for University of Iowa (View Most Recent)

A great institution which values diversity and creates resources for employees to grow in their careers, and home life.

Current Employee - Administrative Services Coordinator in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Administrative Services Coordinator in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The University of Iowa adds an additional $130.00 to my paycheck each month to help pay for my health insurance. Because of this, I pay a total of $50.00/month for myself and my 2 children. This is just one example of the amazing benefits the UI makes available for their employees.

The diversity efforts on campus are numerous, as many of the colleges, departments, and organizations, have some kind of involvement in a committee or initiative focusing on diversity and how to maintain an inclusive environment for all. This is important to me as a non-white, low-income, single, mother of two.

Cons

The UI is so large, that each department or organization has developed it's own culture and common practices. I was very lucky to land a job in such a forward-thinking, flexible, and trust-worthy organization which values it's employees to the fullest, however, if I were to apply for another position elsewhere at the UI, I would be risking giving up this environment for one that might be a micromanaging nightmare.

We get paid once a month, which causes me and everyone else I know in a pay grade similar to mine, to be flat broke before the next 1st of the month rolls around. Also, this really hurts employees when they first start a new job at the UI because they will not get paid until the 1st of the following month.

The University of Iowa has great transportation options since parking space is extremely limited and expensive downtown and at the hospital. The cheapest being the $12.00 bus pass, which employees can have deducted from their paycheck each month. The van pool is also convenient for those not living close to a bus route, or even for those living in other towns and cities and will cost a little over $40/month. But...

...as someone who has no option but to drive to work because I require having two child car seats to take my children to daycare each morning and pick them up each afternoon, it is unfortunate that parking is so expensive ($98.00/month for a ramp if you're able to wait months or even YEARS on the wait list, or about $55.00 for a lot that you either walk a very long way to and from, or have to take a shuttle to/from with limited run hours.

Free or low cost daycare for low to mid income employees is a must. As someone who's paycheck comes out to about $2200 after taxes, one can only imagine how the quality of life is for a family when they are obligated to pay over $1000/month in daycare. (and I am just over the income guideline for state assistance, so that is not an option.) The flex spending program for daycare is not enough. That alone only saves me about $400.00/year in daycare costs and the process to claim it is much too time consuming as I pay my provider weekly.

Organizing a central resource to reserve conference rooms, venues, and equipment would be greatly beneficial, since currently, each organization has their own method, contact person, and policies. (Many do not use Outlook either). I'm sure there are multiple places we could use for our monthly meetings that are closer, more accessible, or more convenient, but we'll never know until we discover them by happenstance.

What's with the whole merit staff vs professional/scientific staff thing? Why can't it just be one system? I've known many friends and family members who works for UIHC who don't get to participate in the workshops and free receptions and events on campus and I think that's unfair. Also the pay and benefits are different. How boring would that job be if you don't ever get to grow and network and do fun things at the place you commit so much time too?

Rhetoric TA

Current Employee - Rhetoric TA in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Rhetoric TA in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rhetoric is a great department to TA in as there is a lot of professional development. It's also very collegiate and less condescending toward undergrads than other departments.

Cons

Rhetoric isn't taken as seriously in the university so a lot of politics which you can generally avoid if you don't want to be a part of it. More of an issue for permanent faculty but there can be trickle down.

Stick it to the men up the hill. Keep doing what you're doing. Undergrads love you even if they don't know it yet.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Iowa