University of Iowa

Fun, rewarding, sometimes frustrating

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Iowa City, IA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa

Pros

If you have your eyes open, the University of Iowa presents fantastic opportunities to learn. I was able to make real contributions to important projects even as an entry-level programmer, and was able to move into positions requiring ever-more responsibility. I learned a ton, was self-directed much of the time, and was trusted and respected by my managers.

Cons

The mood and culture of the workplace seems to vary widely between different colleges and administrative units. I happened to work someplace great, but I heard horror stories about the hospital.

Study what makes some units happy and productive and apply what you learn to the problem units.

233 Other Employee Reviews for University of Iowa (View Most Recent)

Engineer at the Univ. of Iowa

Current Employee - Engineer III in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa

Pros

Great retirement and vacation benefits, access to top-quality health care, flexible work schedule, diverse workforce, opportunities for professional development, friendly environment

Cons

Large organization overall can make you feel lost or unimportant when dealing with benefits or other offices outside your immediate department.

Don't cut soft money salaries when they are supporting research projects that bring in more money each year to their departments and are self-supporting.

UI review

Current Employee - Engineer in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at University of Iowa

Pros

benefits are better than most other companies - 8% retirement match, great health care, 6weeks paid vacation after working 5years there)

Cons

limited career path, poor management skills for upper level management, lots of bureaucracy and politicking, slackers cannot be fired, overachievers cannot be rewarded

fire the slackers, give bonuses for good performers, use metrics in performance evaluations that are tied to pay, get rid of the union slackers

There are newer employer reviews for University of Iowa