University of Maryland Medical Center

www.umm.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of Maryland Medical Center

Great learning experience but stagnant salary with little hope of improvement

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent learning experience - you get terrific exposure to high acuity, medically challenging patients. The multidisciplinary focused patient care allows you to liaise with physicians from multiple specialties, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, dietitians, nurses, social workers, etc. Everyone is very generous with their knowledge and takes time to educate you. Generally speaking (there are always exceptions, of course!) everyone is very supportive and team focused to get the best done for the patients. All in all this is an excellent hospital for patients and I would not hesitate to recommend it to any family member or friend.

Cons

Our salaries have been basically frozen (exception being the rare 1% raise) for years (since 2009) but our costs (healthcare, parking, taxes) have continued to go up. Just this May the hospital decided to increase nursing salaries to be more competitive (market rate for the area) but the increase is honestly, too little too late. To add insult to injury the hospital offers nurses from outside institutions with the same experience / skill level more money than their current staff (offensive) to attract them but tells us we are paid the market rate (not true). I know this for a fact from 2 friends who told me what they were offered (and they turned it down because although more than what we make it was still LESS than they were making across town at the competitor!!). This makes it difficult to want to climb the ladder - you feel you will get cheated the whole way up. They DO NOT offer more money for having a BSN (or other advanced degree), doing charge, precepting, having CCRN.

Pay nursing fairly! Leadership tries to listen to staff input by holding "town hall meetings" but it took YEARS to get even this small increase in pay. The hospital was very good during the peak of the recession in 2008-2009 by ensuring no one lost their jobs but after staff input cut back in other ways. This was commendable.

70 Other Employee Reviews for University of Maryland Medical Center (View Most Recent)

Stable place to work, good work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical Center full-time

Pros

Stable organization, high quality healthcare facility that provides high quality care, and offers many innovative treatment options. Generally a supportive environment with good co-workers and managers.

Cons

Career advancement can be somewhat limited. Good retirement benefits but no pension plan.

Learn a lot I guess

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Baltimore, MD

I worked at University of Maryland Medical Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The schedule was great and it was and advancement in the medical field i was looking forward too. Most of the staff was friendly. Patient were okay as well.

Cons

No Grace Period. One big competition for leadership on the nursing floor.Vague Policy use to terminate employee

Please learn to preach what you say in orientation. I believe that the hospital world help me grow in the medical field. But instead i got showed the door cause of some conversation that you wern't present to. If you have C2X as a policy you should follow it. Or at least try to follow it.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Maryland Medical Center