There are newer employer reviews for University of Maryland Medical Center

Great learning experience but stagnant salary with little hope of improvement

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent learning experience - you get terrific exposure to high acuity, medically challenging patients. The multidisciplinary focused patient care allows you to liaise with physicians from multiple specialties, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, dietitians, nurses, social workers, etc. Everyone is very generous with their knowledge and takes time to educate you. Generally speaking (there are always exceptions, of course!) everyone is very supportive and team focused to get the best done for the patients. All in all this is an excellent hospital for patients and I would not hesitate to recommend it to any family member or friend.

Cons

Our salaries have been basically frozen (exception being the rare 1% raise) for years (since 2009) but our costs (healthcare, parking, taxes) have continued to go up. Just this May the hospital decided to increase nursing salaries to be more competitive (market rate for the area) but the increase is honestly, too little too late. To add insult to injury the hospital offers nurses from outside institutions with the same experience / skill level more money than their current staff (offensive) to attract them but tells us we are paid the market rate (not true). I know this for a fact from 2 friends who told me what they were offered (and they turned it down because although more than what we make it was still LESS than they were making across town at the competitor!!). This makes it difficult to want to climb the ladder - you feel you will get cheated the whole way up. They DO NOT offer more money for having a BSN (or other advanced degree), doing charge, precepting, having CCRN.

Pay nursing fairly! Leadership tries to listen to staff input by holding "town hall meetings" but it took YEARS to get even this small increase in pay. The hospital was very good during the peak of the recession in 2008-2009 by ensuring no one lost their jobs but after staff input cut back in other ways. This was commendable.

60 Other Employee Reviews for University of Maryland Medical Center (View Most Recent)

Excellent staff!!

Former Employee - Graduate Student Intern  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at University of Maryland Medical Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You will receive exposure/experience to a wide variety of different patients with various neurological disorders. Staff is incredibly supportive and very educated.

Cons

Senior management for rehabilitation services is a bit bias to PT so the resources allocated to speech is limited. Salary is on the low end and raises are very minimal, at best.

Consider educational presentations (by an SLP) to better inform all rehab staff and hospital employees about the duties and responsibilities of SLP's.

Stable place to work, good work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland Medical Center full-time

Pros

Stable organization, high quality healthcare facility that provides high quality care, and offers many innovative treatment options. Generally a supportive environment with good co-workers and managers.

Cons

Career advancement can be somewhat limited. Good retirement benefits but no pension plan.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Maryland Medical Center

Worked for University of Maryland Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!