University of Maryland

www.umd.edu

Best Part-time Job on Campus

Student Driver (Former Employee) College Park, MD

ProsPaid CDL training and license, which is practically unheard of in other companies - the license itself is valued at over $2000, and all that is asked in return is one semester of work at an avg of 12hrs/week (unless things have changed in the past 2 years). Easy.

There's no uniform, and you can clock in at different places on campus. Convenient.

I recommend working maintenance - those skills are invaluable if you plan on owning an automobile or bike.

ConsScheduling can be somewhat inflexible (don't you dare change your class schedule after shift pick), and seniority is everything - you may be stuck with some pretty terrible shifts your first semester.

Never sign up for College Park Metro (104) or New Carrollton (126). Trust me.

Shift pick was literally the most tedious thing I experienced in college, so I recommend signing up for the bare minimum 12hrs/week and picking up shifts for the extra cash. Don't let yourself get suckered into making any extra shifts permanent - you'll want that flexibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllot a handful of parking spaces at base for graveyard/early morning workers.

Great workplace, painful bureaucracy, limited growth... and NO COLA/increments for 5 years

Faculty Research Assistant (Current Employee) College Park, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: UM has excellent employee benefits, including free tuition, health etc. Being in the WDC metro area… Cons: very painful to get any work done with the bureaucracy - four set of signatures to purchase a lab notebook, excessive overheads (bring… Advice to Senior Management: see cons No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

OK Pay, but go elsewhere for better QoL/job satisfaction

Lecturer (Former Employee) College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time for more than a year

Pros: - Generous compensation for a state school salary - A few… Cons: - Class size too large/inflexible policies. I taught 2 undergrad classes that were 60 - 80 students each. I didn't think this would be a… Advice to Senior Management: Consider giving lecturers and department heads more autonomy. Having to pass something up 6 levels wastes… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on University of Maryland.

Worked for University of Maryland? Contribute to the Community!