OK Pay, but go elsewhere for better QoL/job satisfaction

Former Employee - Lecturer  in  College Park, MD
Former Employee - Lecturer in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Generous compensation for a state school salary
- A few very nice and professional coworkers

Cons

- Class size too large/inflexible policies. I taught 2 undergrad classes that were 60 - 80 students each. I didn't think this would be a problem at all, until I learned the school requires certain things be included as part of the syllabus for certain classes. For example a term paper. If I have to grade 80 15-20 page papers, I wanted to have the assignment be due a week or two before the semester ended. I was told that since it was a final assignment, I couldn't change the due date- it had to be due the day/time during which a final would be otherwise given. Long story short: I had 1 week to grade 80 term papers, and was not allowed to forego other work during the week to do it.

- In my other class, I gave a final exam. These exams are scheduled to be 3hrs long. Several of my students came to me saying they had 2 3-hr exams prior. These poor kids would have been test-taking for 6 hours before they even got to my exam. When I filed a request to allow students to take it late/early, I was denied and told that there are too many instances of cheating when they do this.

-Another con: this job does not reimburse for local travel or expenses. Events I was required to attend out of state were not paid for, nor was comp time allowed. I was told "that's life, you can't nickel and dime everything". Now at my current job, I am encouraged to nickel and dime everything and be compensated fairly.

Consider giving lecturers and department heads more autonomy. Having to pass something up 6 levels wastes time, money, and resources, and as a result things move at the pace of a terrapin.