There are newer employer reviews for University of Maryland

A good place to get a PhD

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in College Park, MD
Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was a science graduate student, and received good mentorship. Most of the people that I knew in my program were very happy with their experience. Graduate student life is lots of work, but the pay at UMd is enough to live on (if you're careful) and the school isn't taking in more science students that it can afford to support to graduation (which is sometimes the case at Ivy League schools). There's good health insurance because you receive state employee benefits. I would recommend working as a graduate student at UMd.

Cons

As is typical for graduate school, there were no official family leave or maternity leave policies. Traffic can be a mess, but that's not unusual for the DC area.

Advice to Management

You're doing a good job supporting science graduate students, both with decent pay, good benefits, and good mentoring. Please expand your family leave/ maternity leave policies to graduate students.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Take classes for free, pleasant atmosphere, nice working around young people who are enthusiastic about life. Good health benefits & retirement plans.

Cons

I can't think of cons besides having to pay for parking :) Perhaps traffic going in to work can be a challenge.

2. OK Pay, but go elsewhere for better QoL/job satisfaction

Former Employee - Lecturer in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Lecturer in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Generous compensation for a state school salary - A few very nice and professional coworkers

Cons

- Class size too large/inflexible policies. I taught 2 undergrad classes that were 60 - 80 students each. I didn't think this would be a problem at all, until I learned the school requires certain things be included as part of the syllabus for certain classes. For example a term paper. If I have to grade 80 15-20 page papers, I wanted to have the assignment be due a week or two before the semester ended. I was told that since it was a final assignment, I couldn't change the due date- it had to be due the day/time during which a final would be otherwise given. Long story short: I had 1 week to grade 80 term papers, and was not allowed to forego other work during the week to do it. - In my other class, I gave a final exam. These exams are scheduled to be 3hrs long. Several of my students came to me saying they had 2 3-hr exams prior. These poor kids would have been test-taking for 6 hours before they even got to my exam. When I filed a request to allow students to take it late/early, I was denied and told that there are too many instances of cheating when they do this. -Another con: this job does not reimburse for local travel or expenses. Events I was required to attend out of state were not paid for, nor was comp time allowed. I was told "that's life, you can't nickel and dime everything". Now at my current job, I am encouraged to nickel and dime everything and be compensated fairly.

Advice to Management

Consider giving lecturers and department heads more autonomy. Having to pass something up 6 levels wastes time, money, and resources, and as a result things move at the pace of a terrapin.