University of Maryland

www.umd.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of Maryland

A good place to get a PhD

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in College Park, MD
Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was a science graduate student, and received good mentorship. Most of the people that I knew in my program were very happy with their experience. Graduate student life is lots of work, but the pay at UMd is enough to live on (if you're careful) and the school isn't taking in more science students that it can afford to support to graduation (which is sometimes the case at Ivy League schools). There's good health insurance because you receive state employee benefits. I would recommend working as a graduate student at UMd.

Cons

As is typical for graduate school, there were no official family leave or maternity leave policies. Traffic can be a mess, but that's not unusual for the DC area.

You're doing a good job supporting science graduate students, both with decent pay, good benefits, and good mentoring. Please expand your family leave/ maternity leave policies to graduate students.

531 Other Employee Reviews for University of Maryland (View Most Recent)

Great workplace, painful bureaucracy, limited growth... and NO COLA/increments for 5 years

Current Employee - Faculty Research Assistant in College Park, MD
    Current Employee - Faculty Research Assistant in College Park, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

UM has excellent employee benefits, including free tuition, health etc. Being in the WDC metro area also has its advantages, such as proximity to museums, activities and a choice of three airports.

Cons

very painful to get any work done with the bureaucracy - four set of signatures to purchase a lab notebook, excessive overheads (bring in funding and give away 60% in overheads - wonderful), 80% of the buildings are antiques, with antique facilities, things are always breaking.

see cons

Researcher in theoretical particle physics

Former Employee - Research Associate in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great research group, with renowned professors creating successful collaborations.

Cons

The offices were too old at the time of my position, but a new building should be completed in 2013.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Maryland