University of Maryland
www.umd.edu College Park, MD 5000+ Employees

Great workplace, painful bureaucracy, limited growth... and NO COLA/increments for 5 years

Faculty Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time for more than 8 years

ProsUM has excellent employee benefits, including free tuition, health etc. Being in the WDC metro area also has its advantages, such as proximity to museums, activities and a choice of three airports.

Consvery painful to get any work done with the bureaucracy - four set of signatures to purchase a lab notebook, excessive overheads (bring in funding and give away 60% in overheads - wonderful), 80% of the buildings are antiques, with antique facilities, things are always breaking.

Advice to Senior Managementsee cons

OK Pay, but go elsewhere for better QoL/job satisfaction

Lecturer (Former Employee)
College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time for more than a year

Pros: - Generous compensation for a state school salary - A few… Cons: - Class size too large/inflexible policies. I taught 2 undergrad classes that were 60 - 80 students each. I didn't think this would be a… Advice to Senior Management: Consider giving lecturers and department heads more autonomy. Having to pass something up 6 levels wastes… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Research assistant

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
College Park, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time for more than a year

Pros: Nice academic environment, many opportunities Cons: some issues with health care Advice to Senior Management: extent the health care enrollment time Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on University of Maryland.

Worked for University of Maryland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Maryland reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Maryland CEO Dr. Wallace D. Loh. All reviews posted anonymously by University of Maryland employees.