There are newer employer reviews for University of Maryland

Great support from administrators for personal growth and work-life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

I have been working at University of Maryland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tuition remission, friendly work atmosphere, and amazing resources such as the health center

Cons

Pay is a bit low, but the benefits make up for it.

Advice to Management

Hire more culturally and linguistically diverse people!

Other Employee Reviews for University of Maryland

1. Good place to work, but hard not to get stuck

Former Employee - Unit Secretary in La Plata, MD
    Former Employee - Unit Secretary in La Plata, MD

I worked at University of Maryland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits offered were great. Great work-life balance. Lots of respect from management, or at least mine was great. Easy interview process. Nice compensation for not being salary. Got a raise.

Cons

This may specifically apply to my job position: I'm not sure how I would be able to promote through the hospital with the position I had. It would take certifications/medical degrees I'm sure, which I was not interested in. My schedule was 3-11pm. This is okay, but not favorable.

Advice to Management

Overall good management but there should be a clear understanding of a manager's role. I remember that my manager was more on the emotional end of managing and would sometimes be too concerned with the gossip, or would get into it a bit herself. I remember one time I addressed something specifically with my manager via email and instead of pulling us together to chat she went to the other employee and told her what I said without my permission or knowledge. The other employee got a completely wrong idea about what my concern was and threatened to make my job harder. We resolved it eventually, but I felt like the manager's role in this situation wasn't appropriate.

2. Easy work, flexible hours

Former Employee - IT Client Support in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - IT Client Support in College Park, MD

I worked at University of Maryland part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Laid back office -you set your own schedule -easy -when you work with a nice caller it's a good job

Cons

-boring during time between calls -as with any phone support you will get called by jerks -sometimes too laidback. There are frequently times when there's nothing to do so everyone just faffs about for a while. Up to 1 hour between calls when you're just sitting around.