University of Miami

www.miami.edu

Great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Coral Gables, FL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Gables, FL

Pros

Wonderful place to work for, but I'll admit it really depends on what department you're working for.

Cons

Sometimes the red tape and paperwork nonsense can get out of control.

Other reviews for University of Miami

Good gig for side cash

Pros

make your own hours
    work with friends

Cons

weird hours that sometime interfere with class
    no room for promotion

Their policies show how little they care about employees.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Miami, FL

Pros

I have two positive things to say about UM. First, they pay me well. Second, my boss knows how much UM stinks so is lenient on the policies and allows for bending the rules.

Cons

Human Resources is a mess. Their website is always out of date, they cannot produce an employee handbook, and they never answer emails or phone calls.

Benefits are terrible, especially for a Medical school, you would think they would have better medical benefits. Seems to me that the problem is because they are a medical school, they "insensitivize" you to use the medical school facilities. For example, aetna covers imaging services (x-rays, cat-scans, etc) from hundreds of locations in Miami-Dade and Broward. Yet the University has brokered some deal with Aetna telling them NOT to cover imaging services done outside the University. So instead of going a few blocks away to get xrays that Aetna would usually cover I have to drive 35 miles to the nearest UM facility that offers imaging services. My doctor is 5 minutes away. When he tells me he needs a cat scan or x-rays I need to drive 45 minutes away to get them.

Maternity and Paternity leave are non-existent. That is they do not offer ANY paid leave for this purpose. You can use FMLA by applying for a "Leave of absence" but that will eat up all your sick time and if that isn't enough (most likely) you do not get paid for the additional days. Plus your job is not guaranteed to still be there after 30 days.

There are hundreds of slap-employee-in-the-face policies like the above ones scattered through out a website that is not updated and has many dead links. So after spending hours unsuccessfully trying to get answers on their website, reading inconsistent information, you wait for weeks for someone at HR to return your call or email. And still information is inconsistent between HR reps.

IT department is also underfunded and a scattered mess. You can never get anything done if you rely on them for anything. CIO needs to have dedicated teams of people for core services such as email, website hosting, ERP, networking, telephony, etc. for ALL campuses. RSMAS is ignored. instead they have a few guys that sort of do it all which spread them thin, they can't help many people at all and cannot possibly be experts on anything. (no fault of their own)

When I first started the Department hiring me gave me the list of benefits. At the time when I wanted to use them I couldn't. Apparently I was giving an outdated copy 10 years outdated! So the benefits had changed so drastically I was flabbergasted.

HR needs a complete overhaul. IT also needs a complete overhaul (follow FIU's lead)

There are newer employer reviews for University of Miami.

Worked for University of Miami? Contribute to the Community!