Poor pay, poor support for professional development

Former Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor  in  Coral Gables, FL
Former Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at University of Miami

Pros

somewhat prestigious university, so it looks good on your cv/resume

Cons

I got zero support for professional development, and some faculty could not come to terms with the fact that in order for me FINANCIALLY and professionally to make it out of a dead-end job like a VAP at UM I had to get some research done. I can understand that a VAP is not a research position, but they're paying dirt wages, so there should be some sort of recognition of the fact that this is a very temporary situation and that a VAP should have some room to research so as to get out of that situation

Staff is really resentful of the fact that it's so difficult to advance w/in UM and the pay sucks. That affects everything in the university.

Other Reviews for University of Miami

Complementary Medicine Department

Current Employee - Research Associate I  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami

Pros

Serves as a unique educational experience. You are presented with some very unique and interesting work opportunities

Cons

I constantly felt uncomfortable working in the complementary medicine department. The Deans in charge do a poor job of communicating with employees.

The entire department works extremely hard, but are not skilled in effectively communicating with upper management (the Chairs in the Med School). Nor are they skilled in effectively communicating with staff members.

Adjunct Faculty at UM

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami

Pros

The students are highly qualified and eager to learn. The work environment is very relaxed.

Cons

There is very little room for advancement.

When faculty members are evaluated by students and receive excellent feedback, consider them for a job with more responsibilities. Challenge them to do more! It is discouraging to have no place to move up.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Miami.

Worked for University of Miami? Contribute to the Community!