University of Miami

www.miami.edu
  www.miami.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of Miami

Poor pay, poor support for professional development

Former Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Coral Gables, FL
Former Employee - Visiting Assistant Professor in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at University of Miami

Pros

somewhat prestigious university, so it looks good on your cv/resume

Cons

I got zero support for professional development, and some faculty could not come to terms with the fact that in order for me FINANCIALLY and professionally to make it out of a dead-end job like a VAP at UM I had to get some research done. I can understand that a VAP is not a research position, but they're paying dirt wages, so there should be some sort of recognition of the fact that this is a very temporary situation and that a VAP should have some room to research so as to get out of that situation

Staff is really resentful of the fact that it's so difficult to advance w/in UM and the pay sucks. That affects everything in the university.

190 Other Employee Reviews for University of Miami (View Most Recent)

Complementary Medicine Department

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami

Pros

Serves as a unique educational experience. You are presented with some very unique and interesting work opportunities

Cons

I constantly felt uncomfortable working in the complementary medicine department. The Deans in charge do a poor job of communicating with employees.

The entire department works extremely hard, but are not skilled in effectively communicating with upper management (the Chairs in the Med School). Nor are they skilled in effectively communicating with staff members.

UM is a great place to work, Miami is a great city to live

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Miami, FL

I have been working at University of Miami

Pros

Excellent workplace, plenty of support for advancement, beautiful campus. The salary is competitive and benefits are good as well. Also Miami is a great city to live.

Cons

City is a bit expensive, opportunities to collaborate are limited. Graduate student level needs to be elevated, a task which is very difficult. It is hard to find help for high level research.

The management is doing a good job, which shows in the results achieved in the last few years. Incentives for new active junior and senior hires should be generated, once the economy picks up.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Miami