There are newer employer reviews for University of Michigan

Make sure you weigh the pros and cons before working here.

Current Employee - Administrative/Project Coordinator  in  Ann Arbor, MI
Current Employee - Administrative/Project Coordinator in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at University of Michigan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits package with choices for customization, including medical, dental, and vision. Plus plenty of sick and vacation time. Some of the senior level management team is interested in mentoring those beneath them. You don't feel pressured to stay late or work weekends, unless you want to. Flexible schedules, for the most part. Fairly easy to move around the different areas of the University, making it easy to try new things. Extensive offers for professional training, with GREAT instructors.

Cons

Some departments are a little less focused on the "team environment" and more on personal gain. Many of the top-level managers don't care about lower level employees, and with take mid-level managers word on performance measures, without finding out for themselves. Many of the mid-level managers in my particular area feel threatened right now because of a "climate" change in our department, so myself and a few of my peers have been "thrown under the bus" in our evaluations. There is a very slow growth pattern here, often requiring employees to move around the university in order to move vertically - which isn't usually a significant step up. The salary levels here are quite a bit lower than the market average, since it is a non-profit institution. There is also a large disparity in salary levels between management and those under them (i.e. you either make the average, or you make well above average). Many of the internal departments are unorganized and often don't complete projects unless you are constantly bugging them, making your job very difficult at times.

Consider providing mentorship to your subordinates. I had one great mentor here, at my first job at the University, which was also my first job out of college. She would talk to me all the time about what I was interested in, where I saw myself in 2, 5, 10, etc. years, and encouraged me to try new things and take risks. Though she couldn't offer me a higher level job in her department, she always encouraged me to get extra training so that I could progress elsewhere. She remains a friend and mentor to me to this day, and I will ALWAYS credit her with my professional success throughout my career. My current manager is the exact opposite, often getting mad at me for taking initiative or trying to handle something on my own and not bother her with mundane details. She requires me to send her detailed descriptions of what I do every day and doesn't trust me to complete work on my own. She does not make time to meet with me, only to "check in" briefly when she gets in (which varies) and when she leaves (often early). When I do something wrong, she calls me out in team meetings and does not offer guidance as to how I could have done something better. The only thing I've learned from her is how to NOT manage someone. Granted she admitted to me early on that she has never managed someone before, but with all of the training offered here, it would be easy enough for her to get the training needed to be an effective manager.

698 Other Employee Reviews for University of Michigan (View Most Recent)

Research is interesting, but depends on if it is your passion

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at University of Michigan part-time for less than a year

Pros

Research experience, developing Windows office skills, and working with professors and faculty

Cons

boring at times, can be hard to understand purpose of research, too much Excel work

Sharp team, great connections and nice work/balance!"

Former Employee - Housing Technology Consultant Level III  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Housing Technology Consultant Level III in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at University of Michigan part-time for more than a year

Pros

Made plenty of connections and always had the opportunity to explore new projects and possibilities. Everyone there was bright and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Not many. Generally a "9a - 5p" environment. Not really a con though!

There are newer employer reviews for University of Michigan

Worked for University of Michigan? Contribute to the Community!