University of Michigan

There are newer employer reviews for University of Michigan

Absolutely amazing!

Current Employee - Undergraduate Researcher in Ann Arbor, MI
Current Employee - Undergraduate Researcher in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at University of Michigan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Name-brand institution with a focus on cutting-edge research; flexible hours; nice campus; good meal options.

Cons

It's cold in the CAEN lab.

Cut down on A/C in the CAEN labs.

750 Other Employee Reviews for University of Michigan (View Most Recent)

Can be great; can be a drag--all depends on which department you're talking about.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at University of Michigan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The University is far too broad and diverse an organization for me to be able to give a single assessment of what it's like. So much depends on which department you're working for, and how favorably the upper brass views your project to be. I can say that my time there was incredibly enlightening. (And yes, I mean that in a good way.)

Cons

Have you ever heard the old song that goes "Yeah, UM doesn't pay great, but WOW are the benefits something!" Well... as the years progressed, the benefits seemed to get more and more lackluster. And further, one department I could name has been letting long-time employees go, with the intent of hiring them back as freelancers. In other words, wholly benefits-free.

Given the nature of my business, one might presume that good communication within the department would be central to the work experience. Not only was this not the case, but when I said as much to my manager, he sighed, shrugged, and said "It's always like that, no matter where you go." Period. No desire to innovate. No desire to hold oneself to a higher standard. No desire to be either leaders or best.

Mostly positive, but sometimes it is difficult to find who to go to for answers to questions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at University of Michigan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I think that the University of Michigan has some of the best benefits in health care and retirement. People here are also very collaborative and willing to help.

Cons

It is difficult to find out who has the information you need to get questions answered. For example, when my boss wanted to change my job title and give me a raise, it was difficult to find out what our options were based on my education level, experience and expectations.

Make resources more transparent, such as finding what is required for certain job titles and descriptions.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Michigan