There are newer employer reviews for University of Minnesota

mixed experience

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Associate Professor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is freedom to pursue a wide range of intellectual interests. There are many highly-dedicated individuals. Administration is competent.

Cons

Like all universities, the emphasis is on building institutional prestige, as measured by metrics that have little to do with addressing pressing social issues and rewarding those whose work addresses those issues.

494 Other Employee Reviews for University of Minnesota (View Most Recent)

Outstanding graduate research at the CEMS department; one of the best; many interdisciplinary research opportunities

Current Employee - Research Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at University of Minnesota full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding department and researchers
    Lots of interdisciplinary research
    Department is competitive, (this could be good or bad!)
    Super characterization facility for experimentalists
    Strong theory base
    Among the best pays at the U for grad students
    Relocation allowance
    Most profs want you to succeed
    Interaction (+ placements!) in industry through IPRIME
    Good city, lots of activities in the U
    Has fantastic arts college, medical school so that life doesn't get one dimensional for techies

Cons

Weather is not great -- can pull spirits down at times, needs time to adjust

Continue to treat graduate students well. Remember to increase pay commensurate with inflation.

To be a Graduate Instructor is a Great Way to Be Young and Poor

Former Employee - Graduate Instructor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Graduate Instructor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at University of Minnesota part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I got to design and teach my own courses. I worked with over 200 UMN undergrads, both at the Minneapolis campus and up in Duluth. UMN has *really* great support staff -- the Writing Center, the Center for Teaching and Learning, the Office of Diversity. Health insurance and health care at UMN was always of superior quality and great value.

Cons

My department was not always well-managed -- different components of the work have to come together, and didn't always during the time I was working there. My academic advisors don't seem to have prepared me well for the working world. My program was too easy, and I don't feel as rigorous or creative as my peers in the professional world -- but I mainly blame myself for this.

I actually think that many of the smaller departments at UMN don't manage themselves well, and could use more support or oversight from the top. A major contribution to graduate education would be a dedicated graduate career office, with staff to help PhDs in humanities and social sciences design their job packages and explore non-academic options.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Minnesota