University of Missouri

www.umsystem.edu

The University of Missouri views its graduate students as grant and patent generating workers rather than as students.

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsThey do provide decent classroom instruction as well as adequate research facilities. A few of the tenured professors are genuinely concerned with student learning.

ConsThe organization cares very much about the revenue that a student can help bring in by working on grant-funded research. However, very little effort is made to ensure that students graduate on time or that they have decent career prospects. As a result, I know many students who finished with a PhD who can not find jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more heavily in career development for your graduate students. Using graduate students as underpaid techs is a short-sighted strategy that will harm the image and reputation of the institution.

Great place to work in college

Tutor (Former Employee) Columbia, MO

I worked at University of Missouri part-time for more than a year

Pros: Tutoring is a lot of fun, and can be really rewarding. You get the opportunity… Cons: There's not a huge downside to this job. The pay is on par with other campus jobs and your hours are very flexible; you basically… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Awesome, would do it again

Student Advisor (Former Employee) Columbia, MO

I worked at University of Missouri as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros: flexible, make your own schedule Cons: low pay, but did get student aid Advice to Senior Management: pay people Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on University of Missouri.

Worked for University of Missouri? Contribute to the Community!