University of Missouri

www.umsystem.edu

The University of Missouri views its graduate students as grant and patent generating workers rather than as students.

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsThey do provide decent classroom instruction as well as adequate research facilities. A few of the tenured professors are genuinely concerned with student learning.

ConsThe organization cares very much about the revenue that a student can help bring in by working on grant-funded research. However, very little effort is made to ensure that students graduate on time or that they have decent career prospects. As a result, I know many students who finished with a PhD who can not find jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more heavily in career development for your graduate students. Using graduate students as underpaid techs is a short-sighted strategy that will harm the image and reputation of the institution.

OK

Senior Res Specialist (Current Employee) Columbia, MO

I have been working at University of Missouri full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Good people a the town Cons: low pay and a small town No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Most laid back and fun job I've ever had

Staff (Former Employee) Columbia, MO

I worked at University of Missouri part-time for more than a year

Pros: The atmosphere was great! Everyone working there was friendly and fun to be around.… Cons: Sometimes the hours would go by slowly. Advice to Senior Management: Keep on doing what you're doing! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on University of Missouri.

Worked for University of Missouri? Contribute to the Community!