Good student work experience

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno

Pros

Easy to get a job while I was in my graduate program, department worked with my schedule. UNR is very helpful with job placement for their students.

Cons

A lot of staff turnover as far as permanent employees within the department that student jobs were assisting. Difficult to secure a classified position.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good place to work but budget cuts have made it hard to not look elsewhere.

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno

Pros

Laid back environment with the ability to have flexible work hours. A good amount of paid time off to take care of my family. For the most part, people are respectful of one another.

Cons

Budget cuts have caused more and more work with the loss of positions. Cuts in pay and benefits that seem to never end have made it difficult to justify not looking for another job in the private sector where pay is actually higher and the benefits are at least comparable if not better that those today. A lot of really good employees have been lost already that the State will probably not gain back in the future.

Advice to Management

Be better advocates for your employees. I realize this is a University and being so means that it is a business focused on students but don't take your employees for granted.

2. I am a graduate student so I work all of the time and do not get paid much, I hope my time pays off in the future.

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno

Pros

I perform research that will contribute to my dissertation and publish original research. I receive tuition waivers and health insurance and get to work at the university.

Cons

Graduate students are overworked and under appreciated. The work we do and skills we have are significant, however, the compensation we receive comparatively is minimal.

Advice to Management

Graduate students are the educated workers who certainly can work on your funded grant and independently achieve your research goals. Appreciate your graduate students and discontinue increasing their tuition costs and quit taking advantage of them.