There are newer employer reviews for University of Nevada, Reno

An extremely caring, positive place to work.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV
Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Reno, NV

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff I work with are passionate about what they do. As a graduate assistant, I make a good salary, but with less hours. It makes me feel appreciated to know that my school takes care of me while I am trying to earn my education. I know that I will give back to UNR because of my experience working here. My hours are flexible depending on my school schedule and parenting schedule.

Cons

I have not found any drawbacks so far. My experience has been very positive with this position.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide employment opportunities for students. This job has given me the ability to work and continue to provide for my family while doing so.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Graduate Research Assistant, ME

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno

Pros

NONE. Go to a different university.

Cons

1) OSHA is non-existent 2) Labor laws are not followed 3) Pay is terrible 4) University only covers 75% of the credit cost for students with an assistantship. Does not cover differential tuition and added fees. 5) Lack of students wanting to get their advanced degrees has created a culture where professors hold students from graduating. Bottom line: If you are an American, don'g get an advanced degree or go to a different school. If you are foreign, just find a different school.

2. Archivist Student Government

Former Contractor - Archivist in Reno, NV
    Former Contractor - Archivist in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to set my own hours. Throughly enjoyed the job. There were many good people there and it was a good place to work

Cons

Was a stipend position. Need to change to an hourly position. Student position. Also, never checked the GPA, as such it lead to a misunderstanding

Advice to Management

Be clear as to the fact that it is a cumulative GPA from all schools not just UNR. Don't just talk to the people when something goes wrong, be more proactive in rewarding those who do a good job.