UNR Former Faculty

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno

Pros

Location to Lake Tahoe & the Sierras.

Cons

Good ol boy mentality, especially among tenured faculty. High turnover among junior faculty due to lack of support & departmental politics.

Advice to Management

The days of Joe Crowley are over and you need to be more open to younger faculty and new ideas if you want to prepare students for the workforce.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good student work experience

I worked at University of Nevada, Reno

Pros

Easy to get a job while I was in my graduate program, department worked with my schedule. UNR is very helpful with job placement for their students.

Cons

A lot of staff turnover as far as permanent employees within the department that student jobs were assisting. Difficult to secure a classified position.

2. Good place to work but budget cuts have made it hard to not look elsewhere.

I have been working at University of Nevada, Reno

Pros

Laid back environment with the ability to have flexible work hours. A good amount of paid time off to take care of my family. For the most part, people are respectful of one another.

Cons

Budget cuts have caused more and more work with the loss of positions. Cuts in pay and benefits that seem to never end have made it difficult to justify not looking for another job in the private sector where pay is actually higher and the benefits are at least comparable if not better that those today. A lot of really good employees have been lost already that the State will probably not gain back in the future.

Advice to Management

Be better advocates for your employees. I realize this is a University and being so means that it is a business focused on students but don't take your employees for granted.