There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina

A positive, challenging work experience

Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC
Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an EPA-non-faculty employee, I received 24 vacation days plus holidays from the start, decent health insurance, and a variety of other benefits.

Cons

As with any state job, pay may be lower than a similar job in the private sector. You have no choice but to put 6% of your pay check into retirement, which may be more than you want to save at various stages in your life (e.g. when paying for daycare for small children).

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Gain a lot of experience with computers, client interaction, and managing multiple tasks while taking a full courseload

Former Employee - Resnet in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Resnet in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (More than a year)

Pros

ResNET does a great job organizing and standardizing knowledge in technical support. Also, they do a lot to make sure employees gain a lot of experience working with people, presenting in front of groups, and assisting others

Cons

Sometimes the workload can be demanding while having a full courseload. A lot of times it felt like achieving arbitrary goals just to check things off of a list.

A very bad experience working at UNC Chapel Hill

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

Chapel Hill is a nice place to raise a family. Working with and mentoring the best and brightest students from North Carolina and beyond was rewarding and enjoyable.

Cons

Support for my position was non-existent. After my boss was fired for inappropriate relationship with a student, my role went completed unsupported and no one seemed to care what I did from there on out. Once they found someone to take over the program, I was quietly terminated. There was zero support from the Dean, faculty, Chancellor or Vice Chancellor. I was simply expendable. That's how it goes at UNC. If something goes wrong, they sweep it under the rug and impact people's lives adversely in the blink of an eye.

Advice to Management

Leadership and management skills need to be improved. Continuity planning needs to be addressed.