University of North Carolina
www.northcarolina.edu Chapel Hill, NC 5000+ Employees

Work is great, state bureaucracy challenging

Senior Research Associate (Current Employee)
Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people at UNC are great. During my 15 years at UNC I've worked with a bunch of smart, creative, fun people. For research staff, the work side has its ups and downs depending on what project or role you have. With some projects you're just a cog in the machine cranking out numbers or data, but other projects give you the opportunity to do more such as interact with students or travel for field work.

ConsUNC is a state university so things like raises, hiring/firing are all dictated by state policies. Navigating the bureaucracy is challenging. There is little opportunity for salary increases. Even in the rare event the legislature does provide raises for state employees, it is often in the 1-3% range. On the research side, people without PhD's aren't taken as seriously as people with PhD's.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the bureaucracy that clogs up many tasks. Also provide opportunities for staff to see bonuses or receive pay increases based on performance or merit.

A positive, challenging work experience

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than a year

Pros: As an EPA-non-faculty employee, I received 24 vacation days plus holidays… Cons: As with any state job, pay may be lower than a similar job in the private sector. You have no choice but to put 6%… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Gain a lot of experience with computers, client interaction, and managing multiple tasks while taking a full courseload

ResNET (Former Employee)

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time for more than a year

Pros: ResNET does a great job organizing and standardizing knowledge in technical support. Also, they do a lot to… Cons: Sometimes the workload can be demanding while having a full courseload. A lot of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on University of North Carolina.

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of North Carolina reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of North Carolina CEO Carol L. Folt. All reviews posted anonymously by University of North Carolina employees.