University of North Carolina
www.northcarolina.edu Chapel Hill, NC 5000+ Employees

Clean and new offices, but paying to park chips away at abysmal state-governed salary.

Communications Specialist (Current Employee)
Chapel Hill, NC

ProsNice offices, two free classes a year if you work full time, some discounts to major retailers such as Verizon and Sprint, scenic location to work.

ConsPay to park or shuttle in, politics, discrepancies in work culture across the university, school of medicine and hospitals, wide pay gaps, no raises in 4 years, state-governed, you move up by who you know not by merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of everyone at the top and start with new staff.

Terrible; will never work for them again. Culture of fear and intimidation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of North Carolina

Pros: state institution....honestly I'd work for a non-profit instead. Cons: Most departments do not care about employees, and in the academic arena there is a culture of hiding behind academic language to endorse unethical… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good place to work

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Steady work, helping the public Cons: low wages, no pay increases, poor benefits. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on University of North Carolina.

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of North Carolina reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of North Carolina CEO Carol L. Folt. All reviews posted anonymously by University of North Carolina employees.