There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina

Great people, but designed not to help employees advance

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC
Former Employee - Office Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The salary and benefits are okay, and the people I worked with were fantastic. Because it's such a big University, there are systems in place to help someone working there. No need to re-invent the wheel for a lot of processes.

Cons

I worked at the university for over six years, and never once got a cost of living increase. The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees.

Training was cut, making it much harder/impossible to advance into a better position. And the general feel of the office was "it's better than being unemployed", which is basically blackmailing employees to keep working for less pay.

reviews filtered by
  1. Enjoyable work environment, not much room for growth for staff

Former Employee - Student Services Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Student Services Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the environment, my co-workers, the faculty and students. Great challenges, supportive colleagues, never a dull day!

Cons

As staff (not faculty), I felt that there was little room for career advancement without completely changing departments and job areas. In 5 1/2 years my salary increases were mostly from legislative action and when those stopped due to the recession, I saw this as a dead-end job.

More professional development for staff. The University does a much better job in supporting and encouraging the careers of its faculty than it does for SPA staff.

2. A great experience for student employee

Former Employee - Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You have opportunity to meet new students. There is flexible hours to choose from. Workload is not heavy. Mostly time, you have opportunity to work on your own personal stuff. The employers are friendly and helpful. Co-workers are nice and willing to help you. It is on campus so you don't have work outside. It is a great work study position to apply for.

Cons

There are night shifts. You may have to cover shift for others if they are unable to come due to illness or personal issues. You may have trouble with new technologies. It is a like a work and learn experience.

There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina