Great experience, friendly work environment with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chapel Hill, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities for research and collaboration abound. If you know what you want to do, and are interested in finding interdisciplinary collaborators, there are essentially unlimited possibilities for cutting-edge research. Chapel Hill is a beautiful place to live. Can't beat the weather, access to nearby cities (and the airport is a 25 minute drive!), and general cultural diversity.

Cons

Salaries are competitive, but living in the area is expensive - housing in particular. Expect to pay "big city" prices if you want to live close to campus. State budget cuts have left some basic services and building upkeep by the wayside. It's hit and miss - some areas of campus are state-of-the-art, others are attended to only once they start (literally) falling apart.

Administrative staffing seems to have become more bare-bones since I arrived here.

Other Reviews for University of North Carolina

Nice, laid-back atmosphere.

Current Employee - ITS Security Intern  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - ITS Security Intern in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Allows for growth through experimenting with new software and hardware. Lots of learning potential. Manager is very understanding.Don't get pushed to your limits, and has flexible work hours. Gained lots of important exposure into the field of IT Security.

Cons

Sometimes I wish I could ask for more work to do just to gain further exposure however I realize this would involve access that is beyond my pay-grade.

Be willing to interface with the employees and open to suggestions for more growth opportunities.

Great in theory, not in practice

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love what I do and that I get to help students become leaders, adding to the University community. The students are brilliant and creative and generally selfless which makes it a pretty enjoyable job on that end.

Cons

Morale on campus and in my particular department is pretty low right now. Pay is incredibly disparate across and even among departments. Professional development is hard to come by and, at least in my department, we are terribly understaffed meaning that we are also terribly overworked. I feel like a lot of effort is being made towards student morale right now, but not towards staff and faculty.

There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina.

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!