There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina

Great experience, friendly work environment with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for research and collaboration abound. If you know what you want to do, and are interested in finding interdisciplinary collaborators, there are essentially unlimited possibilities for cutting-edge research. Chapel Hill is a beautiful place to live. Can't beat the weather, access to nearby cities (and the airport is a 25 minute drive!), and general cultural diversity.

Cons

Salaries are competitive, but living in the area is expensive - housing in particular. Expect to pay "big city" prices if you want to live close to campus. State budget cuts have left some basic services and building upkeep by the wayside. It's hit and miss - some areas of campus are state-of-the-art, others are attended to only once they start (literally) falling apart.

Advice to Management

Administrative staffing seems to have become more bare-bones since I arrived here.

Other Employee Reviews for University of North Carolina

1. Great in theory, not in practice

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love what I do and that I get to help students become leaders, adding to the University community. The students are brilliant and creative and generally selfless which makes it a pretty enjoyable job on that end.

Cons

Morale on campus and in my particular department is pretty low right now. Pay is incredibly disparate across and even among departments. Professional development is hard to come by and, at least in my department, we are terribly understaffed meaning that we are also terribly overworked. I feel like a lot of effort is being made towards student morale right now, but not towards staff and faculty.

2. Great clinical staff

Former Contractor - Epic Trainer in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Contractor - Epic Trainer in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The labor and delivery unit is fantastic

Cons

As a contractor, there aren't many future opportunities available.

Advice to Management

Have someone there to meet the after go-live needs of your staff...someone they are comfortable with and someone who is knowledgable.