There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina

Great in theory, not in practice

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love what I do and that I get to help students become leaders, adding to the University community. The students are brilliant and creative and generally selfless which makes it a pretty enjoyable job on that end.

Cons

Morale on campus and in my particular department is pretty low right now. Pay is incredibly disparate across and even among departments. Professional development is hard to come by and, at least in my department, we are terribly understaffed meaning that we are also terribly overworked. I feel like a lot of effort is being made towards student morale right now, but not towards staff and faculty.

Other Employee Reviews for University of North Carolina

1. Great clinical staff

Former Contractor - Epic Trainer in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Contractor - Epic Trainer in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The labor and delivery unit is fantastic

Cons

As a contractor, there aren't many future opportunities available.

Advice to Management

Have someone there to meet the after go-live needs of your staff...someone they are comfortable with and someone who is knowledgable.

2. Nice, laid-back atmosphere.

Current Intern - ITS Security Intern in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Intern - ITS Security Intern in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Allows for growth through experimenting with new software and hardware. Lots of learning potential. Manager is very understanding.Don't get pushed to your limits, and has flexible work hours. Gained lots of important exposure into the field of IT Security.

Cons

Sometimes I wish I could ask for more work to do just to gain further exposure however I realize this would involve access that is beyond my pay-grade.

Advice to Management

Be willing to interface with the employees and open to suggestions for more growth opportunities.