There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina

Great University

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC
Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My professor I worked under was very kind and understanding. I learned a lot in my time TA-ing and have a better understanding of what professors and TAs are looking for when grading tests and assignments.

Cons

Sometimes lectures and recitations and assignments are a little disorganized. Its hard to evenly distribute work between TAs.

Try to be a bit more fair in terms of how to divide up work between TAs since we're all getting paid the same rate.

reviews filtered by
  1. Quality university with an abundance of resources

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

From a scientific research standpoint, there are many quality researchers and opportunities for collaboration. The facilities are high quality. Basically anything you need you can find somewhere on campus.

Cons

Transportation can be quite an issue. At peak times, the small roads in and out are extremely congested. Parking is horrendous compared to my former university. They are working on expanding garages, but it will still be an issue.

Lackluster and disappointing

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Two free classes per year.

Cons

Too many to say, but morale is low, cronyism, impossible to move up, inept incompetent managers with little to no interest in developing their employees skills or advancement, aloof faculty who are demigods in their own minds, you are basically a glorified secretary even if you have a specialized degree, you prefer seeing the vendors and facilities guys everyday instead of the gabbing secretaries who prefer Internet Explorer and stupidity to moving up and getting better jobs. My job was very technical when I was hired in 2008 and after budget and grant decreases, I had to become an overqualified secretary.

Your turnover is so high because you are entitled redneck. Retire already and get someone in there with an education in leadership and some tact and decency who can look at their employees in the eye before making back-door decisions about their careers.

There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina