There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina

An experience that has left me with new skills but also knowledgeable about the things I DON'T want for my next position

Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC
Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Little supervision in the sense that I didn't someone breathing down my neck all the time, but always able to find someone if I needed to ask questions or get feedback. Collaboration between programs and research centers was invaluable. Great benefits as an EPA employee (almost 5 weeks vacation!).

Cons

Academia. Other centers may be different than the one I worked for, but I will never work in academia again. Too much thinking and not enough actually making a difference in people's lives.
With academia also comes the rigid hierarchy. Unlike public agencies on the county or state level, a master's degree is not respected when working with MDs and PhDs.
Because you are a state employee working at UNC, your opportunities for raises are small. Some flexibility if there is extra money in a grant but otherwise, we've seen very small raises the last few years.

reviews filtered by
  1. Environment is great but very bureaucratic, hard to get things accomplished at times.

I have been working at University of North Carolina

Pros

Flexible hours. great work life balance.

Cons

Compensation is low. Little to no upward mobility.

2. Great research and work environement

I have been working at University of North Carolina

Pros

great place; good pay; good benefits

Cons

depends on the department

There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina