University of North Carolina

www.northcarolina.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina

An experience that has left me with new skills but also knowledgeable about the things I DON'T want for my next position

Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC
Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Little supervision in the sense that I didn't someone breathing down my neck all the time, but always able to find someone if I needed to ask questions or get feedback. Collaboration between programs and research centers was invaluable. Great benefits as an EPA employee (almost 5 weeks vacation!).

Cons

Academia. Other centers may be different than the one I worked for, but I will never work in academia again. Too much thinking and not enough actually making a difference in people's lives.
With academia also comes the rigid hierarchy. Unlike public agencies on the county or state level, a master's degree is not respected when working with MDs and PhDs.
Because you are a state employee working at UNC, your opportunities for raises are small. Some flexibility if there is extra money in a grant but otherwise, we've seen very small raises the last few years.

231 Other Employee Reviews for University of North Carolina (View Most Recent)

Environment is great but very bureaucratic, hard to get things accomplished at times.

I have been working at University of North Carolina

Pros

Flexible hours. great work life balance.

Cons

Compensation is low. Little to no upward mobility.

"The Carolina Way"...not everyones' way.

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional atmosphere with colleagues focused on serving the student.

Cons

UNC conveys a mindset that is progressive and innovative, but if you dig deep you will find a road block based on old traditions.

Management needs to compensate and value non-faculty members at a higher rate that is currently demonstrated. UNC really needs to establish and execute a Succession Plan for each and all UNC enterprises.

There are newer employer reviews for University of North Carolina