There are newer employer reviews for University of North Florida

A good place to work.

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Jacksonville, FL
Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at University of North Florida full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, Positive environment, not a lot of micro-management, good benefits.

Cons

The pay is the biggest con here. No raises even with exemplary annual performance reviews.

Advice to Management

Very satisfied with my manager. We may have a difference of opinions from time to time but I always feel that my direct supervisor listens to my ideas and takes them seriously.

reviews filtered by

Great place to work, but it can be kind of lonely depending on your job.

Former Employee - Senior Library Services Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Library Services Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at University of North Florida full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's a great work atmosphere. The people there are nice, and the campus is beautiful. It's a state university, so they can't pay a lot, but they do try to make you feel that you're a valued employee, and as a state employee, you have decent benefits. It's a college campus, so there's always something going on (lectures, concerts, events, etc.). The students seem more mature here than they do at other universities. They seem more serious about their studies. I frequently took walks around the campus during my lunch break, and I rarely saw some of the horseplay and other immature behavior I remember seeing around my college campus during my college days. Also, as an employee, you get to take one free class a semester.

Cons

There weren't that many, and those I can think of aren't horrible. The pay for my position was low. The work in my division was of a solitary nature, so there wasn't a need for constant interaction with others in the office in order to get things done. That could be an issue if you like constant socialization; it wasn't really a problem for me, though it did get a little lonely sometimes.

2. Overall decent employer, but respect needs some work

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at University of North Florida part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is an awesome place for students to work, especially when working with professors in your field of study. It allows you a lot of opportunity to open dialogue with important people and be treated as a peer. The environment allows students to put schoolwork first without criticism or disapproval-- studies are priority.

Cons

Resources are limited and difficult to attain when requested, such as access to important documents and maintenance requests. A lot of control is taken away from office workers because there are innumerable hoops to jump through and it hinders the ability to be efficient and make improvements. The politics of making things work is so challenging that things often don't get done in time or done well.

Advice to Management

Respect and appreciate the work office workers do. Create and manage systems so our departments can run more smoothly and efficiently. We should be able to give the best answers and best care for students, and the flaws and frustrations of the hoops we jump through make our jobs nearly impossible.

There are newer employer reviews for University of North Florida