University of North Texas

www.unt.edu
  www.unt.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of North Texas

Good people but hard to move up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I have been working at University of North Texas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits--great health insurance and retirement plan. The tuition discount is also amazing for anyone who wants to take some classes. The campus is nice and it's awesome to work with students.

Cons

Comparatively low pay to other universities in the area. Difficult to get promoted as a staff member, though I have no idea what it's like as faculty.

Remember that we are here first and foremost to serve students and to educate. I think a lot of upper level staff start to think of the school like a private business.

193 Other Employee Reviews for University of North Texas (View Most Recent)

Nice work environment.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Denton, TX

I have been working at University of North Texas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

UNT seems to be on par with most major universities in terms of science graduate student pay. Decent benefits.

Cons

UNT does not always help pay for tuition. Seems to be very professor dependent which student gets scholarships and fellowships.

A fun environment with some good and bad people.

Former Employee - Student Technician in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Student Technician in Denton, TX

I worked at University of North Texas part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay for a part time student position, flexible hours, you work with many other students which can be pretty fun, and the pay is relatively good.

Cons

Some management was very shady in ways they handled things. The department I worked in received a pay cut in order to save some money for a new building as well as every other department minus one who received a pay raise. This department did not deserve a raise, received no new responsibilities, and did practically nothing aside from having a pretty face. Overall many departments were upset because the top tier management made all decisions without even consulting our managers or asking for advice on how to do things. Eventually they asked for their advice after enough people from multiple departments complained and things were rearranged to satisfaction. My position specifically went from $15/hr to $9/hr at first. We later got it raised to $11/hr do to logical complaints.

You hold an open door policy but many people feel that if they ever came in with a complaint or issue that they'd be fired. Be a bit more transparent, work as a team and don't just do everything YOU feel is correct.

There are newer employer reviews for University of North Texas