Fun times with Zebrafish

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Eugene, OR
Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Eugene, OR

I have been working at University of Oregon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great work environment with friendly and helpful people. I was always able to find something to do or get help if I needed it. I immediately felt at home in the lab and definitely recommend it for others.

Cons

Though I enjoy my time working in the University or Oregon's Labs, I would have liked to have gotten more hours, which were somewhat limited.

reviews filtered by
  1. Not bad, but glad to leave.

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Fellow in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Fellow in Eugene, OR

I worked at University of Oregon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with students can be very rewarding, facilities are fairly up-to-date, the campus is nice and walkable, lots of bike parking.

Cons

Changed my tax withholding status without asking or informing me. Bureaucratic nightmare is poorly run and difficult to navigate. Very little actual support from facilities services, and often condescending. No other job options in area if UO does not work out. Serious network connectivity issues for Macs, and IT does not know *anything* about Macs, or how to help.

Advice to Management

Purchase some standard accounting software, because what you have is borderline unusable by *all* parties, including employees in accounting.

Get new or different IT so that Macs receive connectivity support.

Place an inexpensive laptop in each lecture room to give slideshows on, because the cables used to connect personal computers are frequently in poor repair and therefore don't work, or work badly.

Have some sort of system by which GTFs may have a cheap loaner computer for a few weeks if need be. Computers on campus cannot reasonably be used to answer student emails at all hours.

GTFs would be able to spend more time and effort on teaching and graduating if they were paid more than low poverty wages. Even in reduced cost student housing, wages are a tight squeeze.

Disrespectful faculty, low wages but GREAT benefits, and exceptional job security.

Former Employee - Academic Administrator in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Academic Administrator in Eugene, OR

I worked at University of Oregon

Pros

The benefit package cannot be beat. Great health care for employee and family. As a union shop, there is very strong job security. I would take some real effort to get fired.

Cons

The wages are incredibly low. The faculty act superior to the support staff. As a union shop, where it's nearly impossible to get fired, there is a lot of dead weight.

Advice to Management

Remember that the staff are employed to do jobs that you don't want to do and frankly cannot do (it's not your area of expertise.) Find a way to reward and show appreciation for outstanding staff.