There are newer employer reviews for University of Pennsylvania

University of Pennsylvania is a great place to work, but the system has flaws that frustrate advancement.

Current Employee - Research Specialist D in Phila, PA
Current Employee - Research Specialist D in Phila, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania

Pros

Penn is a community of terrific people, opportunities for collaborative efforts, continuing education at all levels, all based in a vibrant city.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for professional growth as a staff member in research. You often have one job title, but actually perform a different job altogether. HR designed many job titles, but they are unevenly applied and at the whim of the supervisor.

Advice to Management

Take evaluations seriously, apply real merit increases, not just the cost-of-living increase to everyone across the board year after year.Improve employees investment in their jobs by giving them something to work toward.

reviews filtered by
  1. Wonderful experience so far though it can be daunting at times.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of Pennsylvania

Pros

Great place to work at. many opportunities for knowledge addition, career advancement.

Cons

Poor salary as a post-doc

Advice to Management

None

2. Working for University of Penn School of Medicine

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I worked at University of Pennsylvania

Pros

The secret to work with Penn is the group you get in with. A great group with a great manager, and it's a good place to work. As an employee you can take any classes you wish, some even towards a degree. Hours are not killer either. Children of employees can get a degree at a much reduced rate, most anyone can get into the College of General Studies.

Cons

Like so many other places, my manager was managing only because she had been there for years. She had little mgmt experience and has a shoot first ask questions later approach. I believe there are many others like her within the organization. Projects moved very slowly and they were hardly the most interesting. Almost from my first day I regretted taking the position. It was too laid back for me and not enough interesting work.

Advice to Management

Get better managers and have a process in place to get feedback from your employees. Along with performance reviews there should be management and process reviews.