University of Phoenix

www.phoenix.edu
  www.phoenix.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix

Has changed over the last few years

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice culture and benefits are very good. Education is completely covered aside of reading materials which isn't bad. Can choose your schedule although you do have to have one late day a week and there is a Saturday coverage rotation. Get to help people make a difference in their life by furthering their education. Pay is one of the highest among this positions at other schools. Lots of development! I feel very prepared to do a lot of things after all the trainings and experiences I have had here.

Cons

Told to do one thing but expected to do another: do what is in the best interest of the student but need to enroll many students each month. Micro managed like crazy: each day must have many dials, hours of talk time, be available for calls, and generate referrals. You are questioned if one of these is low. There are even times you have to IM others you are leaving your desk to get coffee or use the restroom. Must work at least one evening a week and rotate Saturday shifts. No overtime. People you talk to on the phone can be very rude and it can be frustrating when students give up for silly reasons or manipulate government funding.

Don't micro-manage! Mean what you say. If you want me to focus on having quality conversations with students, dont write me up for not enrolling enough students for the quarter.

709 Other Employee Reviews for University of Phoenix (View Most Recent)

Put Students First and Learn to Play the Game and You'll Be Fine

Former Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Diamond Bar, CA
    Former Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Diamond Bar, CA

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most staff and students are awesome to work with and if you stay open to it you can really watch people grow on a daily basis. Tuition reimbursement is never a bad thing and you can definitely work full-time and go to school.

Cons

If you don't adapt well to constant change this is probably not the place for you.

Sit for one week in each student facing role every year when you are working on your SWOT analysis. This is the only way you will truly understand what staff and students are experiencing. Previous CEO's did this and the company thrived. Sad that you haven't done this more often and in multiple campus locations because they are each unique. Don't make decisions without this kind of hands-on experience because you only serve to alienate good people who actually care about helping students achieve their goals.

I do contact work for UOP, and the support is great.

Current Employee - Faculty in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Faculty in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

The University of Phoenix has a very professional atmosphere, excellent setup, and you can work at home. I enjoy meeting students from all over the world. The classroom is set up for immediate access to class materials. There is a wonderful online library. UOP offers excellent pay and retirement benefits. There is excellent visionary leadership in Bill Pepicello.

Cons

There are very few solicitations and opportunities for work. I have been employed with them for 6 years, and my first few years were very busy. I even trained future faculty members, but that has since declined.

None